Mobile Home | Desktop Version




Ancajas in must-win fight

By Joaquin Henson
PhilBoxing.com
Sun, 27 Feb 2022



IBF superflyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas realizes his unbeaten Argentine challenger Fernando (El Pumita) Martinez is no pushover but he’ll do what it takes to retain the title in his 10th defense at the Chelsea Theater in the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas this morning (Manila time). Both fighters scaled 114.6 pounds at the weigh-in and declared themselves ready to go to war.

It will be Ancajas’ first fight in Las Vegas and Martinez’ debut in the US. “Jerwin’s 10th defense is the most important fight of his career,” said MP Promotions head Sean Gibbons. “If he’s successful in beating Martinez, it will open the floodgates for everything. We’re in touch with the Japanese and the fight against (WBO champion Kazuto) Ioka is done except for the date. This will open up opportunities to fight (Naoya) Inoue and the big guns at 115. This is it. You haven’t made it ‘til you’ve played Las Vegas.”

Ancajas, 30, isn’t looking beyond Martinez but it’s clear his ultimate goal is to unify the 115-pound title with Ioka the first target. “Ang pangarap ko ay unification,” he said. “Alam ko, ang nasaisip ni Martinez ay talunin ako. Tanggap ko ‘yan. Nakita ko ang kaniyang record at napagaralan na namin ni coach Joven (Jimenez) kung paano siya lumaban sa video. Talagang susugod siya, ‘di natitinag. Noong bata ako, pangarap ko maging Olympian subali’t nag-pro ako ng 17 kaya ‘di ko na-achieve. Si Martinez ay Olympian kaya ang motivation ko at talunin siya upang mapatunayan ko na kaya ko ang Olympian na walang talo. ‘Yan din ang aking motivation noong kinuha ko ang korona kay McJoe Arroyo na isang undefeated Olympian.”

Ancajas left Manila for the US last September and has since been training initially at the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles then at Jorge Capetillo’s gym in Las Vegas three weeks ago. Ancajas stays in an apartment set up by Gibbons in Las Vegas with Jimenez, Eumir Marcial, Jeo Santisima, Jonas Sultan and coach Michael Domingo.

“Olympian si Martinez kaya magaling,” said Jimenez. “May lakas. Mabuti ang kondisyon ni Jerwin, handang-handa na siya at sobrang excited kasi first time siya lalaban sa Las Vegas.” Ancajas said if and when the opportunity comes, he’ll go for a knockout. Six of his nine defenses have ended inside the distance. Former two-weight world champion Marcos Maidana, an Argentinian, said Martinez will bulldoze his way to victory. But Martinez was less bodacious, saying only he’ll try his best to win as their styles are similar. Martinez, 30, turned pro in 2017, a year after Ancajas took the IBF belt. His record is 13-0 with 8 KOs, including two in the first round. Six of his victims had more losses than wins. Outside of Argentina, Martinez has fought in Dubai and South Africa. Ancajas has spoiled the records of four previously unbeaten opponents, including Arroyo and Jamie Conlan, and totes a record of 33-1-2, with 22 KOs.
A recent incident in sparring left Ancajas undisturbed. The Filipino ripped a shot to the breadbasket that appeared to hurt his sparmate and held back. But the sparmate goaded Ancajas to mix it up. Ancajas then pinned the sparmate to a corner and dropped him, triggering a slight melee. The sparmate’s coach threw a water bottle into the ring and it could’ve turned uglier if not for cooler heads intervening. “Nabigla ‘yung trainer,” said Ancajas. “Lumapit sa akin mga magulang ng sparmate at nagpasalamat sa training at nagpa-picture. Mababait naman sila. Magaling ‘yung bata, mabilis, marunong dumistansya. Walang problema sa akin ang nangyari, naunawain ko,” What Ancajas did to his sparmate, he plans to do to Martinez.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.

Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Warriors Buck Pressures, Whip Lakers, 123-116
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • May 4: Rohan Polanco-Fabian Maidana Welterweight Showdown & The Return of Emiliano Fernando Vargas Added to Naoya Inoue-Ramon Cardenas ESPN+-Streamed Undercard at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
    By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • 5 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
    By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025