
How sincere is the WBA?
By Joaquin Henson
PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2022

WBA president Gilberto Mendoza.
It took over two years before the WBA responded to GAB chairman Baham Mitra’s call for a dialogue to thresh out problematic matters involving Filipino boxers. Mitra issued two letters protesting the WBA’s arbitrary stripping of Manny Pacquiao’s welterweight title in the super category last year then endorsed appeals from Filipino managers Gerry Balmes and Kenneth Rontal asking recompense for unfair treatment of their fighters in WBA title fights abroad. None drew a reaction from the WBA. "Dedma" or short for "dead malice" is the local street word for the WBA's act of ignoring GAB.
In a strongly-worded letter, Mitra sent an e-mail dated last Jan. 22 to the WBA suggesting an “urgent, constructive dialogue” to resolve the issues earlier raised. Obviously, the Pacquiao issue is now academic as he has retired from the ring. But Mitra persisted to pursue the dialogue to defend the honor of boxers ArAr Andales and Vic Saludar who appeared to have been shortchanged in their WBA championship bouts. Andales lost to super WBA minimumweight champion Knockout CP Freshmart via a technical decision in Thailand in 2019 but Balmes claimed he should've won by a technical knockout. Saludar was dethroned as regular WBA minimumweight ruler by Erick Rosa on a split decision in the Dominican Republic last December but Rontal insisted that Panamanian referee Guillermo Perez Pineda was mistaken in calling two knockdowns against the Filipino. Without the knockdowns, Saludar would've retained the belt. Mitra’s latest communication got airplay in media and that probably reached WBA president Jesus Mendoza’s ears.
Lo and behold, Mendoza replied to Mitra in a letter dated last Feb. 4. Better late than never. “I would like to apologize for the delay in our response,” said Mendoza. “Certainly, the communications you have previously sent had not been received by our office directly and somehow, were left unanswered. That being said, I would like to reiterate that the WBA will always seek to keep the best relations with all those who make part of this great sport in order to benefit and strengthen our discipline. For that reason, we would like to invite you to a meeting, ideally via Zoom, to discuss the current situation.”
Mitra said he proposed a meeting yesterday but Mendoza failed to reply. After what seemed like a reconciliatory posture, Mendoza has once again snubbed GAB. “Upon their availability na lang and for them to choose the time,” said a visibly miffed Mitra. “I want to bring Kenneth and Gerry to the meeting. I hope they’ll allow me to bring them in.” There's no certainty if Mendoza will make good on his promise to invite Mitra to a Zoom session. If the WBA doesn’t push through with the meeting despite Mendoza’s recent letter, there are firm grounds for GAB to dissociate from the Panama-based organization. At the moment, no Filipino holds a WBA championship belt. The reigning Filipino rulers are WBC bantamweight Nonito Donaire, WBC featherweight Mark Magsayo, WBO bantamweight JohnRiel Casimero, IBF superflyweight Jerwin Ancajas and IBF minimumweight Rene Mark Cuarto. Previous Filipino WBA world champions were junior welterweights Roberto Cruz and Morris East, flyweights Bernabe Villacampo, Erbito Salavarria and Brian Viloria, superfeatherweight Ben Villaflor, bantamweight Luisito Espinosa, superbantamweight Jesus Salud, minimumweight Joma Gamboa, featherweight/bantamweight Nonito Donaire, Jr., Pacquiao and Saludar.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
Warriors Buck Pressures, Whip Lakers, 123-116
By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, Fri, 04 Apr 2025May 4: Rohan Polanco-Fabian Maidana Welterweight Showdown & The Return of Emiliano Fernando Vargas Added to Naoya Inoue-Ramon Cardenas ESPN+-Streamed Undercard at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 04 Apr 2025The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Thu, 03 Apr 20255 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Thu, 03 Apr 2025IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025