Mobile Home | Desktop Version
NIETES-REVECO TITLE FIGHT MAY BE HELD ABROAD; CONLAN PREPARES FOR ANCAJAS; JUAREZ-TAPALES MATCH POSSIBLE
By Maloney L. Samaco
Wed, 11 Oct 2017
IBF world flyweight champion Donnie Nietes might defend his title for the first time on unfamiliar territory. Michael Aldeguer, President and CEO of ALA Promotions traveled to the US negotiating for the best option for the longest reigning Filipino world champion. Juan Carlos Reveco of Argentina has been identified by the IBF as Nietes’ mandatory challenger and there is a big possibility that the fight will not be held in the Philippines and fought somewhere else.
* * *
Nietes has been a world champion since 2007 and had defended his two previous titles, the WBO minimumweight and WBO light flyweight belts, almost all in the Philippines with the full exposure in the giant television network ABS-CBN. This time, ALA Promotions are keeping their options open for Nietes' mandatory title defense against former world champion Reveco. "We are open to fighting anywhere. Either late October or mid November," Aldeguer told SunStar Cebu.
* * *
"We are open to fighting in Argentina or anywhere but we'll still see if we can bring the fight to the Philippines," said Aldeguer. "We are looking at Manila, Davao, Bacolod or Cebu." Nietes has defended his WBO mini-flyweight belt in Mexico against Mexican foes three times. He won against Erik Ramirez by unanimous decision and Manuel Vargas by split decision in 2009. The next year, he defeated Mario Rodriguez by unanimous decision.
* * *
With Jessie Magdaleno injured, Cesar Juarez is eyeing former bantamweight champion and current WBO No. 2 contender Marlon Tapales for an interim title clash, which is planned on the original date on November 11 or some other time. Juarez (20-5, 15 KOs) has been on a winning streak of three fights, two by knockout, since an upset loss to Giovanni Delgado following a defeat to Nonito Donaire, including the knock out of previously unbeaten Albert Pagara.
* * *
Tapales (30-2, 13 KO) knocked out Pungluang Sor Singyu in the eleventh round, while behind on points, to win the WBO bantamweight belt. He lost the title on the scale before stopping Shohei Omori for the second time in three fights. He has yet to fight in 2017. With the latest track records of the two super bantamweights Juarez and Tapales having very impressive finishes their highly anticipated clash ignites global excitement among boxing enthusiasts.
* * *
Superflyweight contender Jamie Conlan has asked the help of his younger brother Michael Conlan to prepare for the November 18 IBF world title fight against champion Jerwin Ancajas at the SSE Arena in Belfast, on the Carl Frampton versus Mexican Horacio Garcia undercard. Jamie has been fighting tough Mexicans and brawlers, but Ancajas has more variations in fighting style and is very mobile. So the Irish boxer modified his methods in training.
* * *
“He is complete opposite to what we are used to,” Jamie explained to Irish-Boxing. “The Mexican fighters I have been used to fighting, he is the complete opposite to them. He is fleet footed. He is not an out-and-out gung-ho brawler. He is a completely different animal.” Michael has a 4-0 pro record with Top Rank, and is regarded as one of Ireland’s greatest ever amateurs and plenty of experience.
* * *
“One thing Mick can do is adapt to any different style, so he is going to come in and imitate Ancajas over the next two or three weeks,” added Jamie. Ancajas defended his IBF crown on the undercard of Manny Pacquiao-Jeff Horn title fight in Brisbane in July 2 and recorded an impressive stoppage win over Teiru Kinoshita. Michael also boxed on the Australian card so Jamie watched on the ringside and he was able to watch Ancajas defended his title.
* * *
Mikey Garcia is willing to move up two more weight divisions to face Miguel Cotto. But the 29-year-old Garcia is not willing to sign a multi-fight agreement with Cotto’s promoter just to have a showdown with the 36-year-old Puerto Rican champion. The undefeated WBC lightweight champion goes to Twitter to reason out why he turned down a planned 154-pound title match against Cotto on December 2 at the Madison Square Garden.
* * *
Cotto (41-5, 33 KOs) is sceduled to fight welterweight contender Sadam Ali (25-1, 14 KOs) in what is considered as Cotto’s farewell match for the WBO super welterweight title. Garcia (37-0, 30 KOs) has fought without the help of a promoter since he returned to the ring in July 2016 after a conflict with Top Rank which made him inactive for more than two years. Garcia tweeted: "Why not Cotto only and no further commitment? I would have taken it if it was Cotto only."
* * *
Garcia defeated Adrien Broner (33-3, 24 KOs, 1 NC) in July 29. The WBC ordered Garcia to fight Jorge Linares during its 55th annual convention last week. Linares is the WBC “diamond” champion at lightweight division and is the WBA world lightweight title holder. Garcia on the other hand is the WBC world lightweight champion. But their title unification fight will not be immediate as Garcia is working on other fights with promoters on a short term basis.
* * *
Despite fighting some of the greatest boxers and fighting 93 fights and losing 19 times with 2 draws, Canadian Boxer George Chuvalo never once got knocked down or knocked out in a fight even in the amateur or professional. He was a five-time Canadian heavyweight champion, and two-time world heavyweight title challenger. Chuvalo is considered by many to have one of the best chins in boxing history. He was ranked No. 4 on ESPN's greatest chin in boxing history list.
* * *
Chuvalo lost to Hall of Fame heavyweight champions Floyd Patterson, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier and George Foreman, but was remembered for his excellent fighting performances. He defeated the top heavyweight contenders Yvon Durelle, Doug Jones, Jerry Quarry and Cleveland Williams. He challenged for the world title twice, and was defeated via a controversial decision to Ernie Terrell and another decision in his first fight with Ali.
Recent PhilBoxing articles:
Frank De Alba takes on Ivan Najera on Tuesday, November 21st at The Sands Bethlehem Event Center
By , Tue, 17 Oct 2017NYPD's Dimash Niyazov Added to November 11 Jacobs vs Arias card
By , Tue, 17 Oct 2017Premiere Episdoe - 'The Hollywood Beatdown with Tyron Woodley'
By , Tue, 17 Oct 2017RCJ FIGHTERS PREVAIL IN “FIST OF FURY 2”
By , Tue, 17 Oct 2017Hall of Fame Boxing Trainer Johnny Lewis Starts Boxing Series in Sydney
By , Tue, 17 Oct 2017HORN DEFENDS TITLE AGAINST CORCORAN, TARGETS PACQUIAO, CRAWFORD OR MCGREGOR NEXT
By Maloney L. Samaco, Mon, 16 Oct 2017Antonio Agrees to a Draw Vs Short, Keeps Solo Lead After 5 Rounds
By , Mon, 16 Oct 2017NIETES' TITLE DEFENSE MAY HAPPEN NEXT YEAR
By Maloney L. Samaco, Mon, 16 Oct 2017Won’t Back Down: Teofista Boxing Series 26 set for Oct. 21st at Calgary’s Deerfoot Inn & Casino!
By , Mon, 16 Oct 2017Groves beats Cox and sets up Eubank Jr. clash
By , Sun, 15 Oct 2017DEONTAY WILDER, KEITH THURMAN & ERROL SPENCE JR. DISCUSS UPCOMING BOUTS AND 2018 BOXING CAMPAIGNS
By , Sun, 15 Oct 2017Sta. Cruz keeps title with a great domination of Cris Avalos
By Ed de la Vega, DDS, Sun, 15 Oct 2017MARES BEATS GUTIERREZ BY TECHNICAL DECISION
By Ed de la Vega, DDS, Sun, 15 Oct 2017TACONING DEFENDS WBC INTERNATIONAL CROWN TONITE ( SUNDAY OCT. 15) AT ELORDES
By , Sun, 15 Oct 2017PHILLY BOXING STARS EXPECTED AT 10TH ANNUAL BRISCOE AWARDS
By , Sun, 15 Oct 2017