Mobile Home | Desktop Version




CONCEPCION IS READY FOR THE BIG TIME

By Maloney L. Samaco
PhilBoxing.com
Wed, 14 Jan 2009



Bernabe Concepcion bagged the vacant WBC International featherweight title Sunday night with a 5th round TKO win over Kenyan Sande Otieno. It was Concepcion ?s first fight in 2009 and was held at the celebrated Araneta Coliseum.

It was also the first time that Concepcion fought for a title in the country, as his past title bouts and defenses were held either in the US or Mexico . The promotion was a grand homecoming for Abe because he was able to show his wares again in front of his cheering countrymen, one thing he always dreamed of.

The 20-year-old warrior from Binangonan, Rizal won his 16th straight bout, when referee Bruce McTavish stopped the fight upon the advise of the ringside physician during the break of the fifth round due to the severe cut above the Kenyan's left eye.

The gash was opened by a solid right straight from Concepcion in the third round. The Kenyan bravely stayed on his feet, but his blows could not disturb Concepcion, who showered Otieno with several straights.

"I knew from the first round that I would control the fight," said Concepcion, who improved his boxing record to 28-1-1 with 18 knockout wins. "I knew I could take his punches."

Concepcion's manager, Aljoe Jaro, said he hoped his boxer?s outstanding victory would earn him an undercard fight in the proposed Manny Pacquiao-Ricky Hatton showdown in Las Vegas on May 2.

"Definitely, we will accept it if they offer us a fight in one of the undercard," said Jaro. If the fight supporting the Pacquiao-Hatton tussle will not be realized, Jaro said his inclination is a possible collision with Mexican Heriberto Ruiz who defeated Rey ?Boom Boom? Bautista.

Concepcion may also be in line to fight WBC champion Oscar Larios who won over Takahiro Aoh last October in Japan . If the fight would materialize, it will be Abe?s best prospect to win a world title.

Last year, he successfully defended his North American Boxing Federation (NABF) twice by defeating Juan Ruiz and Torrence Daniels both by TKO, including a very impressive TKO win over Adam Carrera on the undercard of the Antonio Margarito-Miguel Cotto fight in Las Vegas .

Concepcion was born in Virac, Catanduanes and won his NABF superbantamweight title via a 4th round TKO win over Gabriel Elizondo in August 2007.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Maloney L. Samaco.

Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • IIEE to defend Billiard crown in PTC World 2026, World Champ Magpantay is PSA Awardee
    By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Wood-Warrington II Press Conference Quotes: Everything that Was Said Ahead of Saturday's Sold-Out Rematch in Nottingham
    Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Announces Opponents for Rising Stars Jimuel Pacquiao Jr. and Curmel Moton on Feb. 28 at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York
    Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Rising Star Promotions Returns to Prudential Center April 10 LIVE ON PROBOX TV
    Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Sante Barley Trilogy Leg 1 on March 29 in Azuela
    By Lito delos Reyes, Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Team Rapid chess tourney goes to Pasay City on March 8 By Marlon Bernardino
    By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • 3rd Horse Show & competition scheduled on February 21-22
    By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Robinsons Bacolod Chess Festival set
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Alex Bray Set for WBA Continental Latin American Title Clash February 20 in Orlando
    Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Ryan ‘The Bruiser’ Rozicki Calls out Jai Opetaia
    Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • BREAKING NEWS: DAZN AND MATCHROOM BOXING SIGN NEW FIVE-YEAR DEAL
    Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 75 climbers start trekking to Mt. Apo today
    Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 4 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Erik Morales Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Dainier Pero Locked In Ahead of WBA Continental USA Title Defense in Orlando
    Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • A Milestone Birthday: Celebrating Brico Santig's 50 Years of Dedication, and Triumph
    By Carlos Costa, Wed, 18 Feb 2026