
All or nothing for Jerwin
By Joaquin Henson
PhilBoxing.com
Mon, 04 Aug 2025

Former IBF superflyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas is blasting his way to secure a shot at another world title and MP Promotions head Sean Gibbons ruled out any more tune-ups in declaring it’s all or nothing for the fighter called Pretty Boy.
Ancajas, 33, is coming off a convincing win over Uruguay’s Ruben Dario Casero in an eight-rounder at Thunder Studios, Long Beach, Saturday night (yesterday morning, Manila time). Two judges scored it a shutout, 80-72 while a third saw it a draw, 76-all, making Ancajas the winner by majority decision.
Gibbons said he proved the Nevada State Athletic Commission wrong with Ancajas’ victory. “Nevada turned the bout down on the Manny Pacquiao-Mario Barrios undercard and wouldn’t approve it but I showed them it was a quality fight,” said Gibbons. “Jerwin put up a solid performance. He’s a solid, crafty veteran who got much-needed rounds. He looked sharp, won all the rounds. One judge was high. I don’t know what he was watching or what building he was in but it wasn’t the one we were in.”
Gibbons said he’s now looking to arrange a shot at the IBF or WBA world title. Ancajas is ranked WBO No. 5, IBF No. 6 and WBA No. 9 in the superbantamweight division where Japan’s Naoya Inoue is the undisputed champion. If Inoue moves up in weight, Ancajas will likely contend for the vacant throne. “No more tune-ups for Jerwin,” said Gibbons. “He’s had three tune-ups. It’s all or nothing, gotta get it done or not.”
Ancajas has won three in a row since losing to Takuma Inoue in a WBA bantamweight title fight in Tokyo early last year. He decked Thai Sakprasord Ponpitak once enroute to a fifth round win by disqualification in Mandaluyong last September, halted Richie Mepranum in the second to bag the Philippine superbantamweight crown in Iligan last January and trounced Casero.
For the Casero fight, Ancajas scaled 123.8 pounds, slightly over the superbantamweight limit of 122. Ancajas said beating Casero was like old times. “Bumalik lang kami sa dating galaw,” said Ancajas who ruled the IBF 115-pound ranks for six years until he lost the belt on his 10th defense in 2022. “Inuna namin ang depensa at distansya.” The win raised Ancajas’ record to 37-4, with 24 KOs. Asked if he’s good to go for another world title crack, Ancajas replied, “Ready na anytime.”
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
Traya eyes KO win against Thai tomorrow
By Lito delos Reyes, Fri, 29 Aug 2025Navarrete's Future in Question as He Resists Rematch with Charly Suarez
By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, Fri, 29 Aug 2025Davao's Corteza beats Biado, Aranas enters round-of-32 in P2 Million Bata Reyes 10 Ball Open
By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 29 Aug 2025Round 12 with Mauricio Sulaimàn: The Growth of Boxing
By Mauricio Sulaimán, Fri, 29 Aug 2025Toshihiko Era Retains WBF Asia Strap in Thailand
By Carlos Costa, Fri, 29 Aug 2025Boxlab Promotions Signs Rising Cuban Prospects Ronny Alvarez and Pedro Veitia
Fri, 29 Aug 2025Boxing Legend & Hall of Famer Roy Jones Jr. Confirmed for Eighth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Mexican Independence Day Weekend, Saturday September 13, in Las Vegas
Fri, 29 Aug 2025Vayson vies for WBA/WBO titles
By Joaquin Henson, Thu, 28 Aug 2025Mexican "The Rock" Zamora, three-time female world champion with 20 world championship fights, retires
By Gabriel F. Cordero, Thu, 28 Aug 2025“I’M ONLY GETTING BETTER”: CONFIDENT PAT McCORMACK PLOTS HUGE HOMECOMING WIN OVER MIGUEL PARRA TO SPARK WORLD TITLE CHARGE
Thu, 28 Aug 2025Heart of a Lion: 'Lucky Boy' Reymark Alicaba Earns Praise Despite Loss by Points in Thailand
By Carlos Costa, Thu, 28 Aug 2025Dante Kirkman Looks to be the First Fighter to Stop Dylan Carlson
Thu, 28 Aug 2025Shawn Darling Inducted into New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame
Thu, 28 Aug 2025Arca wins 13th Mindanao Open chessfest
By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 28 Aug 2025Carzano rules FIDE-Rated Open Rapid Chess Tournament
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 28 Aug 2025