
Manny hints of return
By Joaquin Henson
PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 14 Oct 2022

Retired eight-division world boxing champion Manny Pacquiao fueled speculation that he may make a serious ring comeback during a recent press conference in Seoul to promote his six-round exhibition with martial arts guru DK Yoo at the Korea International Exhibition Center in Goyang on Dec. 11. Pacquiao arrived with wife Jinkee in the Korean capital last Monday and they’re expected back in Manila today.
“My style, my stamina and my body----if I can continue my boxing career but I’m still OK,” said Pacquiao. “Right now, I feel good. I’m excited to work hard, go back to basics where we started, sparring with caliber boxers, training hard. I’m happy for this opportunity and thankful to have the chance to be in Seoul.”
Pacquiao, 43, has started training in General Santos City for the bout which will feature two-minute rounds and 10-ounce gloves. In pro boxing, fighters wear 10-ounce gloves starting the superwelterweight or 154-pound division and eight-ounce gloves from welterweight down. The heavier gloves cushion the impact of hard punches. Yoo, 42, has never fought as a pro although last year, he figured in a six-round exhibition with former UFC battler Bradley Scott. Yoo is known as the founder of Wartime Combat System and a master of 15 fighting disciplines. The exhibition is billed as The Champ against The Master.
Both Pacquiao and Yoo are southpaws. The Korean has a distinct advantage in height, standing 5-10 to Pacquiao’s 5-5 1/2. Pacquiao hasn’t seen action since losing the super WBA welterweight title to Cuba’s Yordenis Ugas in Las Vegas in August 2021. “It’s a big deal,” said MP Promotions head Sean Gibbons who flew from Los Angeles to Seoul to join Pacquiao in the promotional tour. “There were at least 50 TV cameras in the press conference. Manny’s a big deal anywhere in the world, particularly in Asia. He’s excited to be back in the gym. This is no joke. They’re coming to fight. To be honest, I think once Manny lands a big punch, Yoo’s going down. I don’t know what Manny’s future plans are. Where he goes will depend on how he does in the exhibition.”
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 04 Apr 2025The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Thu, 03 Apr 20255 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Thu, 03 Apr 2025IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025SAMPSON BOXING SIGNS TOP UNDEFEATED LIGHT FLYWEIGHT CONTENDER ERICK BADILLO TO CO-PROMOTIONAL CONTRACT
Thu, 03 Apr 2025TURKISH KNOCKOUT ARTIST ELIF NUR TURHAN PENS PROMOTIONAL DEAL WITH MATCHROOM
Thu, 03 Apr 2025