Mobile Home | Desktop Version




Carlos Adames wishes Munguia the best, hopes he honors his word and fights him after Ballard

PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2022


Adames.
Carlos "El Caballo Bronco" Adames did his part and now he hopes Jaime Munguia does his.

Back in November, WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman said that he would order the winner of the Sergiy Derevyenchenko-Carlos Adames showdown to face Jaime Munguia to determine the mandatory challenger for the organization's champion, Jermall Charlo.

Adames pulled off the upset victory on December 5th when he defeated Derevyenchenko via majority decision in Los Angeles on the Gervonta Davis-Isaac Cruz pay-per-view undercard.

Prior to the fight, Munguia and his team said they had no problem facing the Derevyencho-Adames winner and that they welcomed the challenge.

Munguia reiterated his willingness to fight Adames last week when he told Un Round Mas co-hosts Marco Antonio Barrera and Erik Morales (who is also his trainer) in an interview on their 18th episode that Caballo Bronco is on his hit list.

Instead of heading directly to the elimination bout, Munguia left many boxing insiders shaking their head when it was announced that he would face the unheralded and largely unknown D'Mitrius Ballard on February 19th.

Adames would like to wish the unbeaten Mexican luck in his upcoming bout and hopes that he will honor his word and face him in his next fight.

"I want to wish nothing but the best to Jaime Munguia. I know he is a very good fighter and I believe that my style and his style would produce fireworks with Mexico versus the Dominican Republic. Neither one of us takes a step backwards. Whenever you get two Latinos in the ring you know you will get a great fight," said Adames.

"So Jaime, do what you have to do against Ballard then let's face each other for the right to fight for the WBC title. You and your team already said that you would fight the winner so don't back down now. I am here ready and willing to fight you anytime and any place."



Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • THE PAST WEEK IN ACTION 16 FEBRUARY 2026: Ajagba, Dzambekov, Ruiz Register Stoppage Wins in Zuffa Event
    By Eric Armit, Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Mexican government and WBC join forces to create mega-project “Boxing for Peace”
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • All eyes on GM Johan-Sebastian Christiansen in Manny Pacquiao International Open dubbed as 87th Kalilangan Chess Festival 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • WBC Champion Mario “El Azteca” Barrios Locked in for Ryan Garcia Showdown February 21 at T-Mobile Arena
    Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Dana White mocks traditional boxing promoters: "No contest, it's like hitting babies"
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • LEIGH WOOD OUTLINES PLAN OF ATTACK FOR SOLD OUT REMATCH AGAINST JOSH WARRINGTON
    Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Cain Velasquez released from a California State prison
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Patrick Rivera wins Pacman's Cue Club 10-Ball Tournament; pockets P100,000
    By Marlon Bernardino, Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Undefeated Brooklyn heavyweight Pryce Taylor Fighting again in Detroit this Sunday on Claressa Shields’ card
    Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES Gabriela Tellez Ready to Make a Statement This Friday in Orlando
    Tue, 17 Feb 2026
  • Rapista wins WBC Far East Silver super flyweight title
    By Lito delos Reyes, Mon, 16 Feb 2026
  • IM Christian Gian Karlo Tade-Arca faces tough competition in Manny Pacquiao International Open dubbed as 87th Kalilangan Chess Festival 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, Mon, 16 Feb 2026
  • Efe Ajagba vs Charles Martin: Zuffa Heavyweights Square Off on Sunday
    By Chris Carlson, Sun, 15 Feb 2026
  • “The Nightmare” Back in Action: Oguni vs Tapales April 3 in Japan
    By Carlos Costa, Sun, 15 Feb 2026
  • Cold Comfort: Tapales and Vitor Frozen Out in Moscow Heartbreaker
    By Dong Secuya, Sat, 14 Feb 2026