Mobile Home | Desktop Version




DIAZ: I HAVE MORE TOOLS THAN JUST EXPERIENCE TO BEAT HANEY

PhilBoxing.com
Thu, 02 Dec 2021



‘JoJo’ believes he has the edge in every department over WBC champion

Joseph ‘JoJo’ Diaz says that people are sleeping on his speed, power and skills as he prepares to challenge Devin Haney for the WBC World Lightweight title at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday December 4, live worldwide on DAZN.

Tickets starting at $58 (plus fees) go are on sale NOW!

Diaz, Jr. (32-1-1 15KOs) bids to become a two-weight World champion in Sin City, having previously come out on top in a Matchroom vs. Golden Boy fight when he took the IBF Super-Featherweight title from Tevin Farmer in Miami in January 2020.

The 29 year old landed the interim WBC strap in his first fight at 135lbs in July against Javier Fortuna, and now takes on another big task in the shape of the undefeated green and gold belt holder Haney (26-0 15 KOs).

Diaz, Jr. has a clear edge in experience over the 23 year old champion, with the 2012 Olympian having 101 more pro rounds under his belt than Haney, but Diaz, Jr. says that wisdom isn’t the only thing that gives his the edge over the defending king.

“Experience will be a key factor in my victory, but my power, speed and boxing ability are important too and I think that they are being underestimated,” said Diaz, Jr. “I’m a 2012 Olympian, I’ve been a World champion, I’ve boxed great fighters and I’ve paid my dues to get here. I’m here for a reason and from my hard work, and that’s going to be the difference.

“Devin is an elusive and smart defensive fighter, but I don’t feel he has the experience that I have. He has good range, and he uses his jab to keep on the outside, but it’s nothing I haven’t seen before, I’ve seen multiple styles in the ring and whatever he brings, I’ll adapt.

“I feel that he’s the kind of guy that doesn’t have confidence in himself and he needs people around him to boost, build and gain his confidence. Me – I am self-confident, self-motivated, I know what I am doing and what I am capable of, and I am going to get him out of there.”



Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • JONES VS. GUALTIERI FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE
    Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Round 12 with Mauricio Sulaiman: From Madrid to Johannesburg – The Legacy of the WBC in South Africa
    By Mauricio Sulaimán, Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TYSON VS. MAYWEATHER EXHIBITION IS ON— TYSON BROKEN HAND PUSHES EVENT FROM SPRING TO FALL OF 2026
    Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Three Lions Promotions Building pro boxing back to Glory days in Metro Vancouver
    Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Jenn Perella shines, Bobby Laing stops Russ Kimber in 1st round
    Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Gustavo Trujillo Looks to Continue his Rise in the Heavyweight Division
    Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Filipino Francisco "Django" Bustamante rules 2026 Buffalo’s Pro Classic 1 Ball One Pocket Division
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 21 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Secures Eight More Victories on Day Three of 2026 Copa America
    Thu, 21 May 2026
  • THE PAST WEEK IN ACTION 19 MAY 2026: Davis Outpoints Albright; Kuse Dethrones Jerusalem; Donovan Defeats Chukhadzhian; Hrgovic Stops Allen
    By Eric Armit, Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Knicks Rally from 22 Points Down to Beat Cavs 115-104 in OT
    By Reylan Loberternos, Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Filipino grabs second place in the National Canada Chess Challenge 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Spotlight on Mexico City: boxers speak ahead of IBA Pro 18
    Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Wembanyama Outshines MVP Gilgeous-Alexander as Spurs Beat Thunder 122-115 in Double Overtime Thriller
    By Reylan Loberternos, Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 0 MUST GO: SELDON JR. vs. POPPER — JUNE 13 AT THE TROP
    Wed, 20 May 2026
  • CARL “THE COBRA” FROCH REUNITES WITH ANDRE WARD ON ART OF WARD FOR FIRST IN-DEPTH SIT-DOWN SINCE THEIR LEGENDARY SUPER SIX FINAL
    Wed, 20 May 2026