IOC axe leaves out Suarez
By Joaquin Henson
Sun, 21 Feb 2021
Three-time SEA Games gold medalist Charly Suarez’ hopes for a return to the Olympics were dashed when the IOC Boxing Task Force decided last Monday to cancel the world qualifying tournament which would’ve been held in Paris in June. Suarez, 32, competed at the 2016 Rio Olympics where he lost a split decision to England’s Joe Cordina in his Summer Games debut and had dreamed of a comeback to erase the bitter memory of the hairline defeat.
Since Rio, Suarez turned pro and has compiled a 5-0 record, with 4 KOs. Last week, he outpointed Jonjon Estrada in his first 10-rounder, scoring a shutout in two of the three judges cards, in Paniqui, Tarlac. His plan was to join the ABAP pool now training at the Inspire Sports Academy in Calamba then proceed with the team to camp in Thailand.
Under the new Olympic weight classifications, Suarez had a choice of fighting as a featherweight (57 kg or 125.7 pounds) or lightweight (63 kg or 138.9). Against Estrada, Suarez scaled 131 pounds and in his five pro bouts, he has never weighed over 132. When he knocked out Virgil Puton in the first round in his third fight, Suarez tipped in at 128 1/2. The Olympic lightweight limit of 63 kg would’ve been too heavy and Suarez said bringing down his weight to 57 kg was doable. In the featherweight class, Suarez had to outshine Junilardo Ogayre, Mario Fernandez and Ian Clark Bautista to make it back to the Philippine team. But that became academic with the world qualifying tournament’s cancellation.
Bautista is the country’s highest-ranked featherweight, meaning if ever the Philippines is awarded a ticket in this division, he would take it, not Suarez, not anyone else. Without the world qualifying tournament, the highest-ranked available Asian will be given a slot in Tokyo. Bautista is ranked No. 17 but two Asians, who haven’t qualified, are higher in the standings so the only way he goes to the Olympics is if No. 7 Erdenebat Tsendbaatar of Mongolia and No. 14 Kavinder Bisht of India back out. That’s a slim chance. However, two Philippine boxers are the highest-ranked Asians not yet qualified in their divisions so it’s likely No. 12 men’s flyweight Carlo Paalam and No. 5 women’s featherweight Nesthy Petecio will advance.
ABAP secretary-general Ed Picson said the other day it's not sure if Paalam and Petecio will make it to Tokyo as the IOC will still announce quota places for Asia with recalculated rankings next month. ABAP is now processing the travel documents of 11 to 12 fighters to leave for training in Thailand. Picson said the door is open for Suarez and Olympic qualifier Eumir Marcial, who’s in Los Angeles, to join the group. The country’s other Olympic qualifier Irish Magno is in the traveling party. It will be preparation for the Olympics and the Hanoi SEA Games late this year. For Suarez, the training will be for a fourth SEA Games gold medal. Picson said the Calamba camp has been smooth sailing. One of the boxers tested positive for COVID upon entering, was treated and quarantined at ULTRA and is now back in Calamba.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
SPORTS SHORTS 73: GEORGE KAMBOSOS SAYS HE PREPARES HIS WHOLE LIFE AGAINST TEOFIMO LOPEZ
By Maloney L. Samaco, Sun, 07 Mar 2021Laguna Heroes team bounces back, beats Cavite in PCAP
By Marlon Bernardino, Sat, 06 Mar 2021Pacquiao creates PBCSC for the future
By Lito delos Reyes, Sat, 06 Mar 2021Spanish-Language Historical Publication To Feature Elorde as Among Golden Era Best; How About March as National Boxing Month?
By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, Sat, 06 Mar 2021Claressa Shields Dominates Marie-eve Dicaire, Makes History As The First Boxer To Be Crowned Undisputed Champ In A Second Weight Division
Sat, 06 Mar 2021Pacquiao vs Mikey Garcia Makes Sense, If It Happens
By Ralph Rimpell, Sat, 06 Mar 2021RJJ BOXING official results from Biloxi: John Vera stops Cleotis Pendarvis In opening round
Sat, 06 Mar 2021Weights from Feasterville, PA
Sat, 06 Mar 2021Isaac Lowe revitalised for return next week
Sat, 06 Mar 2021Cavite Spartans bet Renie Malupa rules Cavite First Chess Tournament
By Marlon Bernardino, Sat, 06 Mar 2021Ty "Short" Fuse Tomlin Remains Undefeated with First Round Knockout
Sat, 06 Mar 2021Viktor Kotochigov: I'll prove my last fight was a blip!
Sat, 06 Mar 2021Top Prospect Israil Madrimov Update
By Gabriel F. Cordero, Fri, 05 Mar 2021FITE App Will Stream You There on LG Smart TVs
Fri, 05 Mar 2021Thai camp awaits ABAP team
By Joaquin Henson, Fri, 05 Mar 2021