Mobile Home | Desktop Version




PACQUIAO SAYS HE WON'T FIGHT EXHIBITION MATCHES, DOES NOT THINK OF A MAYWEATHER REMATCH

By Maloney L. Samaco
PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2019



Following Floyd Mayweather's short and easy knockout of Japan's kickboxing champion Tenshin Nasukawa, Manny Pacquiao declared that has no plans to imitate Mayweather in joining exhibition fights. The world's former pound-for-pound king cashed in $9 million for an effortless more than a minute demolition of the Japanese who practically fought pro boxing for the first time.

* * *

Pacquiao was emphatic that he would not engage in any similar undertaking pitting him against inexperienced fighters. "I won't do that. If I'm Floyd I wouldn't do that," he said. "Exhibition match where you just knock him out. That's not good for the fans."

* * *

Both boxing legends met at the Staples Center on Tuesday night in Los Angeles during the Clippers game, adding rumors to a second fight to take place in July. But Pacquiao was quick to react: "I'm not thinking about Floyd Mayweather, my plan is one [fight] at a time. I'm not planning for future plans."

* * *

The Filipino senator signed an agreement with Al Haymon, Mayweather's adviser, last year. The two boxing celebrities met in Tokyo and agreed on a rematch. "We'd been planning for Manny to be at the game for two weeks," Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions said. "I never even thought about Floyd going to the game. He always goes to the games, his plane is like a taxi; he gets on his plane anytime he wants."

* * *


Manny Pacquiao (second from right) jogs Thursday morning, Jan. 10 in Los Angeles a few days before his departure to Las Vegas where will defend his WBA welterweight title against Adrien Broner of the United States at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Photos by Wendell Alinea.

"Who doesnt want Mayweather? He's the money man," Pacquiao said when asked about the rematch. ?At the age of 40, it?s hard to think about future fights,? he told Reuters. ?Just one at a time.?

* * *

After more than eight years without a knockout victory, Pacquiao was back in deadly KO form last July when he stopped WBA welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse in a seventh-round knockout in Kuala Lumpur to wrest the title. ?I still have it,? Pacquiao declared.

* * *

Broner was beleaguered by several legal problems, facing sexual misconduct charges in two separate cases that resulted last year in Atlanta and Cleveland. Pacquiao does not think Broner?s legal distractions will affect his preparations for their 12-round WBA world welterweight title fight.

* * *

?I don?t want to put myself higher than him or [more] righteous than him,? Pacquiao told reporters at the Wild Card Boxing Club. ?Of course, I?m praying that he will resolve his problems and he will get through his problems. I just want to share a good life outside the ring [with Broner].?

* * *

When asked his comment on Broner aiming to knock him out with a counter punch like Juan Manuel Marquez, Pacquiao replied: ?Yes, that?s what he?s thinking but I?m ready for that. I don?t think that?s gonna work."

* * *

Pacquiao said he is not taking Broner lightly. ?Right now I?m not thinking about my next fight. What I?m thinking is Adrien Broner because my plan is one at a time," he added. "If [Floyd] comes back to boxing and if he wants a rematch, there?s a rematch. It?s up to him, but right now my focus is for this fight because I?m not taking blindly or underestimating Broner.?


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Maloney L. Samaco.

Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Weights Set from San Jose: Amari Jones and Vincenzo Gualtieri Cleared for IBF Middleweight Eliminator
    Fri, 22 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Gilgeous-Alexander Back to MVP Form as Thunder Top Spurs 122-113 in West Game 2
    By Reylan Loberternos, Fri, 22 May 2026
  • IBA flag raised at the peak of Mount Everest following historic ascent
    Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Jacamos fights for vacant WBC Youth World junior fly in South Africa on May 23
    By Lito delos Reyes, Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Lastimosa to fight for vacant PBF Youth light fly crown
    By Lito delos Reyes, Fri, 22 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Adds Seven Wins on Day Four at 2026 Copa America
    Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Bohat fights for PBF Silver bantamweight crown
    By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 21 May 2026
  • AGM Bernardino to hold chess simul in San Manuel, Tarlac
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 21 May 2026
  • JONES VS. GUALTIERI FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE
    Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Round 12 with Mauricio Sulaiman: From Madrid to Johannesburg – The Legacy of the WBC in South Africa
    By Mauricio Sulaimán, Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TYSON VS. MAYWEATHER EXHIBITION IS ON— TYSON BROKEN HAND PUSHES EVENT FROM SPRING TO FALL OF 2026
    Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Three Lions Promotions Building pro boxing back to Glory days in Metro Vancouver
    Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Jenn Perella shines, Bobby Laing stops Russ Kimber in 1st round
    Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Gustavo Trujillo Looks to Continue his Rise in the Heavyweight Division
    Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Filipino Francisco "Django" Bustamante rules 2026 Buffalo’s Pro Classic 1 Ball One Pocket Division
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 21 May 2026