
ARUM AND PACQUIAO REACT TO MAYWEATHER-NASUKAWA FIGHT CANCELLATION
By Maloney L. Samaco
PhilBoxing.com
Sat, 10 Nov 2018

Top Rank Promotions boss Bob Arum says that anyone who thought that Floyd Mayweather vs. Tenshin Nasukawa fight was going to happen is a "fool." Arum clarified that he knew from the beginning that the press conference announcing the event was bulls**t.
Arum was quoted by Bad Left Hook: ?Anybody who believed what came out of that press conference is a damn fool! Mayweather probably got paid money to be at that press conference. He had no intention of doing a fight with a guy half his size who?s a kickboxer."
Arum added that he did not believe that the fight would really take place in New Year's Eve: "So I never took that seriously, particularly when they talked about doing the fight New Year?s Eve ? the evening in Japan, it would be early morning New Year?s Eve in the United States. Four in the morning ? do you think there?s any revenue to be made there? It was ridiculous. I knew right away it was all bulls**t."
Manny Pacquiao previously stated that he was confident that he and Mayweather could come up an agreement despite Mayweather's kickboxing showdown which was later on cancelled. Pacquiao later posted on Twitter after Mayweather's fight cancellation announcement, showing two emojis of surprised and confused faces.
Pacquiao told Mirror Sport: "I will have a couple more fights left in boxing. First I am fighting Broner and after that there is a big possibility of the Mayweather fight."
Pacquiao confirmed that Mayweather would fight again but they have to face their respective foes beforehand. "He is coming back and we are talking about a rematch but we have to deal with these fights first," said the senator. "We met in Japan and he said he wanted to have a rematch; not this time but maybe after the January fight."
Pacquiao emphasized his leverage as WBA welterweight champion. "I told him I have the belt and that I am the champion."
Pacquiao told Sky Sports that the rematch would settle once and for all the doubts of their first encounter. "My thinking is to have the rematch and to make it a clear decision over who wins the fight. The last one we had, it was not clear who won. He didn?t throw a lot of punches, but won the fight. I had a shoulder injury, but if there?s a rematch there is no excuses.?
Adrien Broner reported on social media, according to Boxing News and Views, that the Pacquiao bout will take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on January 19, 2019. It was also reported that Pacquiao liked the said venue being superstitious of the MGM as he has previous several successful fights in his career in the place.
Broner has started working out and practicing as he works hard to revive his old boxing glory days and the shape he needs to defeat a fighting legend in Pacquiao.
Pacquiao is a slight betting favorite for the fight but he can?t be complacent against a skillful and young opponent in Broner.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Maloney L. Samaco.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
Paciones defeats Laspoña, retains WBO Oriental flyweight title
By Lito delos Reyes, Mon, 25 May 2026Results from Panama City
By Gabriel F. Cordero, Mon, 25 May 2026USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Improves Strong Copa America Showing with 8 win Day
Mon, 25 May 2026Benilde Blazers wins Antipolo 2x2 chess team tournament
By Marlon Bernardino, Mon, 25 May 2026Floyd Mayweather Jr files $175 million lawsuit against former associates and advisors
By Gabriel F. Cordero, Sun, 24 May 2026Christian Mbilli will defend his WBC super middleweight world title against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on September 12 in Saudi Arabia!
Sun, 24 May 2026Toro Promotions’ Trio victorious in Mexico
Sun, 24 May 2026Team USA Continues Dominant Run with 7-0 Performance on Day Six In Colombia
Sun, 24 May 2026The Punisher Ultramarathon in Samal on May 30-31
Sun, 24 May 2026Paciones fights Laspoña tomorrow at Elorde gym
By Lito delos Reyes, Sat, 23 May 2026STATEMENT MADE! AMARI “THE REAPER” JONES DEFEATS VINCENZO “IL CAPO” GUALTIERI IN IBF MIDDLEWEIGHT WORLD TITLE ELIMINATOR
Sat, 23 May 2026Castillano stops Rosales in 1st round
By Lito delos Reyes, Sat, 23 May 2026ProBoxTV Goes Global This Saturday with Two Action-Packed International Events Broadcast Live on One Sensational Saturday
Sat, 23 May 2026Oleksandr Usyk Returns Against Unknown Boxer on RING/DAZN PPV
By Chris Carlson, Sat, 23 May 2026Ayala Lardizabal stops Mama as IBA PRO 18 delivers dramatic night in Mexico City
Sat, 23 May 2026