Mobile Home | Desktop Version




Donie Nietes: After Salguero, I'll fight Chocolatito Gonzalez

By Carlos Costa
PhilBoxing.com
Sat, 19 May 2012


Nietes.
CEBU CITY, Philippines - World champion Donnie Nietes of the Philippines is scheduled to make the first defense of his WBO Light Flyweight title against young hard hitting Mexican Felipe Salguero in the main event of Pinoy Pride XIV in Manila on June 2, but Nietes's ultimate goal is to unify the world light flyweight titles with undefeated Nicaraguan slugger Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez (32-0, 27KO's).

"Yes, I'd like to fight Chocolatito Gonzalez. He is a good fighter. Punch hard. I'd fight him anytime," said Nietes, 30, a world champion who has repeatedly won tough title combats in Mexico.

"A possible Nietes-Gonzalez unification is a fight that we'd be interested," added Michael Aldeguer, manager and promoter of Nietes. "It woud be a great fight as Roman Gonzalez is a excellent champion while Nietes has the experience and the skills. However, our focus is on our next target Felipe Salguero on June 2," commented Michael Aldeguer, son of the boxing benefactor don Antonio L. Aldeguer.

Dong Secuya, director of PhilBoxing shared that "the June 2 title defense is so important for Donnie Nietes. Shall Nietes win as we expect, I feel it's about time that Nietes faces a champion of the caliber of Roman Gonzalez."

But this time it is challenger Felipe Salguero (16-2-1, 11KO's) of Toluca, who will have the tough assignment to battle Donnie "Ahas" Nietes.

Donnie is a methodical fighter who triple the young Mexican's experience and ring knowledge. The day Felipe Salguero debuted as a professional fight in April 2008 in Mexico, Nietes was already a world champion.

But in boxing all opponents are danggerous. "Salguero is a Mexican. Mexican are born warriors. We don't take Felipe Salguero lightly. That's why we have been preparing carefully," commented Niete's trainer Edito Villamor during today's presscon announcing the Pinoy Pride XIV.

Donnie Nietes won his WBO light flyweight title via a unanimous decision over Mexican Ramon "Principe" Garcia Hirales in October of last year. His battle with Felipe Salguero is his first title defense.

In addition to the Nietes title fight, Pinoy Pride XIV will feature undefeated world ranked Milan "El Metodico" Melindo (26-0, 10KOs) battling former world champion Jesus Geles (13-2-1, 5KOs) of the historic coastal City of Cartagena, Colombia. The Melindo-Geles fight is scheduled for 12 rounds for the vacant WBO International flyweight title.

The 24-year-old world ranked flyweight Melindo, one of the top stars of ALA Promotions, is expected to fight for a world title against any of the four world champions, Tyson Marquez, Moruti Mthalane, Brian Viloria or Sonny Boy Jaro. "I'd fight any of them," said today a confident Melindo, a Cebuano born in the "City of Golden Friendship" Cagayan de Oro.

Jaro and Viloria are Filipinos, same as Melindo, but that does not matter at all. "Giving the chance, Melindo would fight Jaro or Viloria or any other champion. Boxing is like that and Melindo deserves his chance. Mexicans face each other for world title all the time, just like Barrera-Morales," shared Aldeguer.

Plus, 20-year-old undefeated 122 pounds top prospect Genesis Sirvania (17-0, 5KOs) will battle experienced Mexican Genaro Garcia (38-8, 22KOs) of Chihuahua, Mexico for the vacant World Boxing Council (WBC) International Silver super bantamweight title.

Pinoy Pride XIV at the plush Resorts World Hotel & Casino in Pasay City, Manila on June 2 is promoted by the top boxing promotion company in the Philippines, ALA Boxing and will be televised by ABS-CBN Channel 2.


L-R: Nietes, ALA President Michael Aldeguer and Milan Melindo during Friday's presscon at the City Sports Club in Cebu City.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Carlos Costa.

Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Warriors Buck Pressures, Whip Lakers, 123-116
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • May 4: Rohan Polanco-Fabian Maidana Welterweight Showdown & The Return of Emiliano Fernando Vargas Added to Naoya Inoue-Ramon Cardenas ESPN+-Streamed Undercard at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
    By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • 5 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
    By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025