
Christian Mbilli will defend his WBC super middleweight world title against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on September 12 in Saudi Arabia!
PhilBoxing.com
Sun, 24 May 2026

MONTRÉAL, May 23, 2026 — After years of waiting and anticipation, the biggest fight in the history of Quebec boxing is now official. The new WBC super middleweight world champion, Christian Mbilli, will defend his title on the grandest stage on September 12, when he takes on Mexican legend Saul “Canelo” Alvarez at ANB Arena in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
“Canelo Alvarez is the greatest test of my life—a life of effort, perseverance, and hard work that has prepared me for this moment. On September 12, I promise to etch my name into the history of the sport by delivering a war like you’ve never seen,” said the reigning WBC super middleweight world champion, Christian “Solide” Mbilli.
On the road to #CaneloMbilli, Montreal’s Christian Mbilli (29-0-1, 24 KOs) will have faced no fewer than five top-10 contenders from one of the major sanctioning bodies. He won a war against Ecuadorian puncher Carlos Góngora, stopped Australian brawler Rohan Murdock, clearly outclassed Ukrainian technician Sergiy Derevyanchenko, and destroyed Polish veteran Maciej Sulecki in the first round.
After becoming interim champion against Sulecki, he successfully defended his title against the dangerous Guatemalan Lester Martinez in a bout broadcast on Netflix in front of nearly 40 million viewers on the undercard of #CaneloCrawford. In addition to being named Fight of the Night, the Mbilli vs. Martinez clash was later awarded Fight of the Year by the WBC. In the months that followed, with the retirement of Terence Crawford and Hamzah Sheeraz declining to face Mbilli for the vacant title, the WBC elevated its interim champion—Mbilli—to full world champion status. The new champion, trained by Marc Ramsay, now has a date with the Mexican fighter, currently ranked the WBC’s No. 1 contender—a position long held by Mbilli himself.
“We’ve been trying for years to make the fight between Christian Mbilli and ‘Canelo’ happen, and now you finally understand why September 12. The event is called ‘Mexico vs. The World’ and will take place in Saudi Arabia, but that night, we’ll be fighting for all of Quebec,” said EOTTM president Camille Estephan.
For a rare time in his career—and for the first time since 2022—Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (63-3-2, 39 KOs) will enter the ring as the challenger against Mbilli. Over a professional career spanning more than 20 years, the 35-year-old Mexican has captured 14 world titles and competed in 24 world championship bouts across four weight divisions. At super middleweight, he became the first undisputed champion in the division’s history in 2021, reigning at the top of the 168-pound class until September 2025, when he was defeated by Terence Crawford. Mbilli will be the 15th undefeated fighter Alvarez has faced in his career, having handed a first loss to 11 of them so far.
The #CaneloMbilli event, presented by Riyadh Season, will also be broadcast globally on DAZN PPV on September 12. Photos from Christian Mbilli’s recent fights are also available in EOTTM’s press kit (HERE).
Current WBC super middleweight world champion Christian Mbilli will also be available to meet with the media upon his return to Quebec during a open workout organized at Bar Le Valet inside the Casino de Montréal on Monday, June 1 at 4:00 p.m. Media members interested in attending can now express their interest by contacting noe@eottm.com.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
Floyd Mayweather Jr files $175 million lawsuit against former associates and advisors
By Gabriel F. Cordero, Sun, 24 May 2026Christian Mbilli will defend his WBC super middleweight world title against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on September 12 in Saudi Arabia!
Sun, 24 May 2026Toro Promotions’ Trio victorious in Mexico
Sun, 24 May 2026Team USA Continues Dominant Run with 7-0 Performance on Day Six In Colombia
Sun, 24 May 2026The Punisher Ultramarathon in Samal on May 30-31
Sun, 24 May 2026Paciones fights Laspoña tomorrow at Elorde gym
By Lito delos Reyes, Sat, 23 May 2026STATEMENT MADE! AMARI “THE REAPER” JONES DEFEATS VINCENZO “IL CAPO” GUALTIERI IN IBF MIDDLEWEIGHT WORLD TITLE ELIMINATOR
Sat, 23 May 2026Castillano stops Rosales in 1st round
By Lito delos Reyes, Sat, 23 May 2026ProBoxTV Goes Global This Saturday with Two Action-Packed International Events Broadcast Live on One Sensational Saturday
Sat, 23 May 2026Oleksandr Usyk Returns Against Unknown Boxer on RING/DAZN PPV
By Chris Carlson, Sat, 23 May 2026Ayala Lardizabal stops Mama as IBA PRO 18 delivers dramatic night in Mexico City
Sat, 23 May 2026MF PRO Launches U.S. Boxing Debut with “Pugilist Revolution” Featuring "H2O" Sylve vs. Joseph “JoJo” Diaz in Southern California Showdown
Sat, 23 May 2026Dela Cerna fights Lastimosa on June 21 in Muntilupa
By Lito delos Reyes, Sat, 23 May 2026USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Posts Another Seven-Win Day in Colombia
Sat, 23 May 20262026 NBA Playoffs: Knicks Beat Cavaliers 109-93 Behind Hart’s Postseason Career-High 26 in East Finals
By Reylan Loberternos, Fri, 22 May 2026