Mobile Home | Desktop Version




Pacquiao verdict in question?

By Joaquin Henson
PhilBoxing.com
Sat, 13 Jul 2024



Paradigm Sports Management lawyers opposing the California superior court judgment that dismissed the breach of contract case against former eight-division world boxing champion Manny Pacquiao are given up to Monday to file an objection but face a tall order since it appears the contract was invalid in the first place.

Paradigm CEO Audie Attar and Pacquiao came to terms on a contract in 2020, ceding the fighter’s exclusive worldwide rights of “all employment opportunities.” But when Pacquiao fought Yordenis Ugas in 2021, Paradigm was not in the equation. That led to Paradigm suing Pacquiao and receiving a jury decision awarding Attar’s group $5.1 million in damages. Before the decision was made in May last year, it was reported that Pacquiao’s lawyers offered a settlement but Paradigm declined. Apparently, Paradigm’s lawyers were batting for up to $10 million, including legal fees and interest.

Pacquiao’s lawyers initially were from the Kinsella, Holley, Isser, Kump and Steinsapir firm of Los Angeles but withdrew in 2022, leaving the fighter without legal representation for about eight months. Then, the California law firm of Haight, Brown and Bonesteel came on board a week before the first trial date. Bruce Cleeland took the lead for Pacquiao’s new legal team with assistance from Jason Aniel. Pacquiao took a knockdown when an Orange County jury ruled in Paradigm’s favor but his lawyers filed a motion for judgment, arguing that Paradigm wasn’t licensed as a manager to execute a contract. Last July 1, California superior court judge Walter Schwarm ruled that the contract was invalid so there could not be a breach.

“It was a long two years, an uphill battle,” said Aniel. “This decision was the second phase of trial while the first phase was the jury trial. Because the judge made a decision that the contract is void as illegal, the jury verdict will not be included in the final judgment. The jury decided the facts and where there was a breach of contract. Then, the judge decided whether that contract was illegal.”

The objection period is 15 days from July 1. If Paradigm objects, the judge has a few weeks to consider it but once the judgment is final, the decision may be appealed with the process usually taking up to two years. “Parties have a short period of time to file an objection and once that period passes, the judge will sign off the tentative judgment and submit a final judgment,” said Aniel. “Assuming a final judgment is appealed, Manny can fight freely in the US without any threat or interference from Paradigm. This was the turn from before when Paradigm threatened Manny and anyone he potentially worked with that they would seize any earnings from a fight.”


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.

Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • 5 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
    By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • SAMPSON BOXING SIGNS TOP UNDEFEATED LIGHT FLYWEIGHT CONTENDER ERICK BADILLO TO CO-PROMOTIONAL CONTRACT
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • TURKISH KNOCKOUT ARTIST ELIF NUR TURHAN PENS PROMOTIONAL DEAL WITH MATCHROOM
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • The Past Week in Action 31 March 2025: Norman Stops Cuevas in 3; Mayer Outpoints Ryan; Zepeda Edges Farmer; Collazo Stops Cano; Yabuki KOs Ayala
    By Eric Armit, Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Wild and Wooly Wind-up Seen in West Top 3-6
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Rise of the Samurai: Inoue vs Nakatani in 2026
    By Carlos Costa, Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Undefeated super middleweight prospect Tommy Hyde a true Irish Road Warrior In Australia for April 11th fight
    Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Melvin the Avenger
    By Joaquin Henson, Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • WORLD-RANKED LIGHTWEIGHT ARMANDO MARTINEZ RABI TO FACE ALBERTO GUEVARA IN MAIN EVENT OF FISTS OF FURY 6
    Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Carlos Flowers Shines on Day One for Team USA in World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    Wed, 02 Apr 2025