
Eumir opens Olympic door
By Joaquin Henson
PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 31 Mar 2023

Although Tokyo Olympic middleweight boxing bronze medalist Eumir Marcial isn’t fighting in the coming SEA Games, he’s not closing the door on going for gold in the Paris Games next year. The Asiad will be the first Olympic qualifier for the continent and Marcial said he might just show up to compete in Hangzhou, China, on Sept. 23-Oct. 8. Nothing is set in stone, however, as Marcial will still weigh his options after engaging in two more professional bouts in July and August. So far, Marcial is on track in progressing as a pro, compiling a 4-0 record. He’s coming off a second round stoppage of Argentina’s Ricardo Villalba in San Antonio, Texas, last February. It was his first scheduled eight-round bout and Marcial‘s not rushing to break into tenners. His next fight will likely be another eight-rounder and if he continues to impress, a 10-rounder will be around the corner with a regional title at stake.
Marcial, 27, said working with strength and conditioning coach Reggie Hobson in Las Vegas has done wonders to upgrade his power. Hobson, 59, has been a strength coach for over 35 years and is taking care of undefeated WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO lightweight champion Devin Haney. Marcial said Hobson is focused on building muscle endurance. “Less weights, more repetitions,” said Marcial. “Hindi ‘yung heavy weights na kaya up to five repetitions lang, good for iilang suntok sa one to four rounds. Ang turo ni coach Reggie ay pangmatagalan at increasing power.”
Marcial said the cast on his right hand has been removed after three weeks from surgery to remove scar tissue in between his middle knuckles. He will resume training in the gym in a few weeks but no contact with his right hand to allow proper healing. By May, he should be ready to go full blast. If his schedule allows, Marcial plans to accompany the ABAP national team to Cambodia as its No. 1 cheerleader. Whether he’ll stay in the middleweight division or slide to superwelterweight is a decision to make in the future. Marcial said he’s not finding it difficult to make 160 and if there are opportunities in the 154-pound class, he could consider dropping down. At the moment, he’s staying put at 160. But his power at 154 will be extremely potent so it’s an option. The road is wide open for Marcial to slug his way to the top.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 04 Apr 2025The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Thu, 03 Apr 20255 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Thu, 03 Apr 2025IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025SAMPSON BOXING SIGNS TOP UNDEFEATED LIGHT FLYWEIGHT CONTENDER ERICK BADILLO TO CO-PROMOTIONAL CONTRACT
Thu, 03 Apr 2025TURKISH KNOCKOUT ARTIST ELIF NUR TURHAN PENS PROMOTIONAL DEAL WITH MATCHROOM
Thu, 03 Apr 2025