Mobile Home | Desktop Version




Pacquiao plans international MPBL

By Joaquin Henson
PhilBoxing.com
Mon, 13 Mar 2023


GAB chairman Atty. Richard Clarin (L) talks to Manny Pacquiao (R) in General Santos City.

Eight-division world boxing champion Manny Pacquiao has plans to bring MPBL to a worldwide audience and it may start with teams from the United Arab Emirates. Pacquiao shared his vision for the pro league during a recent visit by GAB chairman Atty. Richard Clarin to attend a “Blow By Blow” show at the Lagao Gym in General Santos City.

Pacquiao said MPBL continues to grow and its fifth season opened in Lucena last Saturday with 30 teams. With the pandemic at an ebb, Pacquiao said teams that took a leave of absence previously and aren't joining the current campaign will forfeit their franchise fees. Quezon makes its MPBL debut this season and Negros Occidental enters the fray after seeing action in the 2021 Invitationals. Bicol, Bulacan, Iloilo, Panay, Cebu and Paranaque are back in the fold.

Pacquiao said he’s still mulling the ideal format for an international MPBL but an option would be to line up at least five Filipino players for every overseas team. In a preview of the coming campaign, MPBL held an eight-team preseason tournament two weeks ago to coincide with the staging of the Kalilangan Festival to celebrate the founding of General Santos City. Zamboanga beat Nueva Ecija, 88-80, for the championship and the first prize of P3 million. Nueva Ecija took the runner-up prize of P500,000. Pacquiao saw action for guest team Bulalakaw and hit 35 points in a 72-70 win over Batangas City. Pacquiao, still a hardcourt threat at 44, scored 11 points, including two triples, in the last quarter to lift Bulalakaw to an improbable victory from a 25-point deficit.

Clarin assured Pacquiao of his support for MPBL and “Blow By Blow.” He came from supervising a boxing show in Bohol. The next “Blow By Blow” card will be during the Elorde Awards Night at the Okada Hotel on March 25. Clarin said he intends to spruce up the GAB office in Makati with boxing memorabilia to inspire youngsters to follow in the footsteps of legends like Pacquiao, Flash Elorde, Pancho Villa and Gerry Penalosa.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.

Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
    By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • 5 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
    By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • SAMPSON BOXING SIGNS TOP UNDEFEATED LIGHT FLYWEIGHT CONTENDER ERICK BADILLO TO CO-PROMOTIONAL CONTRACT
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • TURKISH KNOCKOUT ARTIST ELIF NUR TURHAN PENS PROMOTIONAL DEAL WITH MATCHROOM
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025