
No SEA Games for Marcial
By Joaquin Henson
PhilBoxing.com
Mon, 13 Mar 2023

Tokyo Olympic middleweight boxing bronze medalist Eumir Marcial yesterday confirmed he won’t join the Philippine team competing in the coming Cambodia SEA Games and plans to return to Las Vegas next month to continue his climb up the pro ladder. Marcial is in town with wife Princess for a brief break after scoring a second round TKO over Argentine veteran Ricardo Villalba in San Antonio, Texas, last Feb. 11.
Marcial, 27, said he’s now totally focused on his pro career. The timetable is for Marcial to progress to fighting in 10-rounders before the year ends. His next bout will be an eight-rounder in June or July. Marcial made his eight-round debut against Villalba but the bout ended early, depriving the four-time SEA Games gold medalist a chance to test his stamina over a longer duration.
Marcial disclosed that three weeks ago, he underwent a medical procedure in Los Angeles to remove a growth in between the knuckles in his right hand. He’s now in a cast. Marcial said the same hand specialist who worked on Manny Pacquiao and Vasiliy Lomachenko performed the surgery. “Tiniis ko ng limang taon,” he said. “Bawa’t suntok sa kanan kamay, masakit kaya sa wakas, tanggal na ang problema.” When his right hand is fully healed, Marcial said he’ll be at full strength to unleash his power in the ring.
Marcial’s sights are on a world championship. He said it’s a tough journey to the top but there’s no easy road to the throne. So far, Marcial has racked up a 4-0 pro record with two KOs. He turned pro in 2020, battled twice in 2022 and notched his most impressive win over Villalba.
Another Olympic quest isn’t on Marcial’s mind at the moment but if he decides to go for Paris in 2024, the first step is to qualify through the Asian Games in September. The International Boxing Association (IBA) recently issued a statement that the World Championships for men in Tashkent in May will be the first Olympic qualifying leg. But the IOC, which has taken over control from IBA for Olympic-related competitions due to failure to institute reforms, has a different opinion, said ABAP secretary-general Marcus Manalo. “IOC runs the Olympics so we treat its qualification system as the actual,” said Manalo. “According to IOC, the Asian Games will be the first qualifier for Asia.” Marcial has time to change his mind until then.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 04 Apr 2025The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Thu, 03 Apr 20255 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Thu, 03 Apr 2025IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025SAMPSON BOXING SIGNS TOP UNDEFEATED LIGHT FLYWEIGHT CONTENDER ERICK BADILLO TO CO-PROMOTIONAL CONTRACT
Thu, 03 Apr 2025TURKISH KNOCKOUT ARTIST ELIF NUR TURHAN PENS PROMOTIONAL DEAL WITH MATCHROOM
Thu, 03 Apr 2025