
Tough veteran for Marcial
By Joaquin Henson
PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 10 Feb 2023

Tokyo Olympic bronze medalist Eumir Marcial battles rugged Argentinian Ricardo Ruben (Bebo) Villalba in an eight-round tussle at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas, Saturday night (Sunday morning, Manila time) and from the looks of things, the fight could steal the thunder from the main event featuring WBC featherweight champion Rey Vargas against O’Shaquie Foster for the vacant WBO superfeatherweight title.
MP Promotions head Sean Gibbons described Villalba as a tough and seasoned Argentinian whose record speaks for itself. While Marcial has logged only three pro fights, Villalba checks in with a card of 20-7-1, including eight KOs. Villalba, 33, turned pro in 2010, the year when Marcial fought and lost a three-round decision to Jayson Amper in the schoolboys light paperweight (42 kg) division at the Palarong Pambansa in Tarlac. Marcial, 27, made his pro debut two years ago and has compiled a 3-0 mark, including one KO. Against Isiah Hart in Las Vegas last April, he survived three trips to the canvas and stopped the Peruvian in the fourth round of a sixer. And last October, Marcial bucked a nasty cut in the corner of his right eyebrow to pitch a six-round shutout over Steven Pichardo in Carson City. The gash was inflicted by an accidental headbutt and took five stitches to close.
After enduring a harrowing experience in his last two outings, Marcial is ready to step up and fight in his first eight-rounder. Villalba, unbeaten in his first 13 bouts, has fought in four 12-rounders and nine 10-rounders so he’s tread in waters that are unfamiliar to Marcial. He has seen action in Russia, Romania and Las Vegas aside from Argentina so fighting away from home isn’t an issue. Villalba has held the South American welterweight, WBO Latino superwelterweight and WBA Asia superwelterweight titles. The downside is he has lost his last three assignments, one by a TKO and two on points. All the more, Villalba is determined to get back on the winning track at Marcial’s expense.
“Hopefully, Villalba will give Eumir some rounds and we’ll see how Eumir looks with the full camp,” said Gibbons. Marcial leaves his base in Las Vegas for San Antonio today with trainer Jorge Capetillo. It was Capetillo who raved about Marcial’s courage in defeating Pichardo with blood smearing his face from the second round. Capetillo said the cut was too deep and a small vein kept spurting out blood. “This was just the beginning for Eumir,” said Capetillo whom Marcial fondly calls Papa. “He showed a lot of maturity, patience and composure.” Publicist Fred Sternberg noted that the combined record of Marcial’s three opponents so far was 17-5-1, with eight KOs or a total of 23 fights compared to Villalba’s log of 28 bouts.
“Villalba represents a big step up in opposition for Eumir in terms of talent and experience,” said Gibbons. “But we’re confident Eumir will pass this test with flying colors. Eumir had a terrific training camp and after consulting with Senor Capetillo, it was decided that Eumir was ready to move up to the eight-round level.” Villalba’s record reflects the kind of fighter he is----a brawler who lives and dies by the hammer. Whether Marcial can weather this brewing storm remains to be seen.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 04 Apr 2025The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Thu, 03 Apr 20255 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Thu, 03 Apr 2025IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025SAMPSON BOXING SIGNS TOP UNDEFEATED LIGHT FLYWEIGHT CONTENDER ERICK BADILLO TO CO-PROMOTIONAL CONTRACT
Thu, 03 Apr 2025TURKISH KNOCKOUT ARTIST ELIF NUR TURHAN PENS PROMOTIONAL DEAL WITH MATCHROOM
Thu, 03 Apr 2025