
Sultan escapes hometown decision
By Joaquin Henson
PhilBoxing.com
Mon, 01 Nov 2021

If not for scoring four knockdowns, WBA No. 9 bantamweight Jonas Sultan would’ve been robbed of a win by decision in battling previously unbeaten Puerto Rican Carlos Caraballo at the Hulu Theater of Madison Square Garden, New York City, last Saturday night (yesterday morning, Manila time).
Sultan, 29, floored Caraballo once each in the second, third, sixth and ninth rounds on the way to notching a unanimous 10-round verdict over Caraballo but the three judges scored it an identical hairline 94-93. The third round was bizarre as after Carballo hit the deck, he fell once more but referee Johnny Callas ruled it a slip then the Puerto Rican threw Sultan to the canvas as he held on to his trunks. Surprisingly, Callas called a knockdown on Sultan and in a clearly questionable scorecard, judge Waleska Roldan had it 10-9 for Caraballo even if the Filipino dominated the entire round. Roldan was the same judge who saw it 117-111 for Jeff Horn over Manny Pacquiao in their Brisbane fight in 2017.
Sultan said he brushed off the knockdown that was called against him. “Pinabayaan ko na ‘yun, parang gusto nilang bawain yung knockdown ko,” he said. “Hindi ko inintindi. Ito na ang biggest win ko pero meron pang susunod, gagalingan ko pa sa next fight ko, sana si (Naoya) Inoue ang makalaban ko. Huwag lang si (JohnRiel) Casimero kasi magkaibigan kami.”
A bettor who wagered on a Sultan win took in a bundle as a $100 bet won $425. In contrast, a $750 wager on Caraballo earned only $100. It was clear Caraballo, a hot New York prospect, was tipped to roll over Sultan and the judges seemed to be on the same wavelength. The three judges awarded six of the 10 rounds to Caraballo and Sultan would’ve lost without the knockdowns. The three judges Kevin Morgan, Tony Paolillo and Roldan are from New York. Besides, Caraballo is boxing legend Miguel Cotto’s protégé and was destined for bigger things with a 14-0 record, including 14 K0s. Sultan was considered cannon fodder with an 18-5 record, including seven KOs. His losses were to Rolando Servania in Bacolod, Jonathan Francisco in Tubod, Go Onaga in Japan, Jerwin Ancajas in Fresno and Athenkosi Dumezweni in South Africa. But Caraballo got the surprise of his life as Sultan, now managed by MP Promotions head Sean Gibbons with Ancajas and his manager/trainer Joven Jimenez in his corner, was as determined and ready to win.
Sultan said different killer punches produced the knockdowns----right uppercut in the second, right hook in the third, right straight in the sixth and left hook in the ninth. “Dapat natapos ng fifth round kaya lang sumakit ang paa ko,” he said. “First time ko nag-wrap sa ankles ko kagaya ng ginagawa ng basketball players. ‘Di ako makagalaw at sumakit ang paa ko. ‘Di ko na siya gagamitin next fight. Magaling si Caraballo, tingin ko pwede siya maging world champion. Mahirap ang laban at buti na lang napatumba ko siya ng apat na beses. Nag-slip pa siya ng dalawang beses kaya alam ko, ilag siya sa akin.”
Sultan said he’ll fly back to Los Angeles with Gibbons, his son Brendan, Ancajas, Jimenez and Zamboanga supporter Junnie Navarro today. He’ll likely stay in the US until Ancajas stakes his crown sometime in December.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
Warriors Buck Pressures, Whip Lakers, 123-116
By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, Fri, 04 Apr 2025May 4: Rohan Polanco-Fabian Maidana Welterweight Showdown & The Return of Emiliano Fernando Vargas Added to Naoya Inoue-Ramon Cardenas ESPN+-Streamed Undercard at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 04 Apr 2025The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Thu, 03 Apr 20255 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Thu, 03 Apr 2025IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025