Mobile Home | Desktop Version




JASON PAGARA NEEDS A SOLID WIN OVER DJARBENG FOR A WORLD TITLE SHOT

By Maloney L. Samaco
PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 01 Sep 2017



WBO world welterweight contender Jason Pagara needs a resounding victory over Richmond Djarbeng to grab an opportunity for a world title fight in the future. ?Jason really needs to prove himself that he is ready for something bigger in his career. I think a solid victory against Djarbeng will give him an opportunity to get a world title shot soon and that?s what every boxer desires,? trainer Edito Villamor was quoted by Manila Times.

* * *

Pagara (42-2, 25 KOs) will fight Djarbeng (28-3-1, 22 KOs) of Ghana in a non-title bout on September 16 in the undercard of the International Boxing Federation champion Milan Melindo's first defense against South African Hekkie Budler at the Waterfront Hotel and Casino in Cebu City.

* * *

Pagara, who turned 29 last July 17 vacated his WBO international superlightweight title to move up to the welterweight division. ?I believe bigger opportunity will come for him if he is going to be victorious against Djarbeng,? said Villamor. ?He is really a hardworking fighter. He trains everyday and he?s in good condition.? Djarbeng, younger then Pagara by 2 years at 27, won his last eight fights, six by knockouts. He has a high knockout rate of 69%.

* * *

Jason began boxing at the age of 8 in Maasin City, Southern Leyte and was trained by his father Reynaldo, who was also a boxer, together with younger brother Prince Albert. They started fighting in amateur bouts at the then unfinished City Gym in Maasin City. They transferred to Cagayan de Oro where their boxing skills were honed up. Later he turned professional and joined the world renowned ALA stable in Cebu City.

* * *

Pagara is still ranked No. 3 in the light welterweight division by the WBO with Terence Crawford as the champion, Antonio Orozco of Mexico is No. 1 and American Maurice Hooker is No. 2 contender. The WBA, WBC and IBF titles are now held also by Crawford. If he moves to the welterweight division permanently, the title holders are Jeff Horn for WBO, Keith Thurman for WBC and WBA, and Errol Spence, Jr. for IBF.

* * *

Two of the world's top pound-for-pound boxers are scheduled to clash on September 16. Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, the pride of Mexico will go up against Gennady ?GGG? Golovkin, the unified world middleweight world champion from Kazakhstan. Two years in the making, the fight promises to be one of the most powerful matches in boxing and fight fans and avid followers are expecting the same hype as that of Mayweather-Pacquiao but this time it will be an amazing match.

* * *

"This is boxing's biggest fight. It is a fight for history. It is a real Mexican fight," said Golovkin. "Everyone will remember this fight. Canelo is No 1 in Mexico, a country known for great fighters. He is very special. Canelo has looked good and looked strong in his last few fights. That is why we have worked so hard in training camp."

* * *

Alvarez, meanwhile, knows the quality of opponent he has and said : "I know what I have in front of me. I know he's a strong fighter. He is the most dangerous opponent of my career, but I'm ready for him and what's next to come. That's why we prepared, and to give the fans a beautiful fight...Without a doubt, our fight on Sept 16 will be one of the great fights in the history of boxing. Golovkin will bring out the best in me."

* * *

The Boston Celtics agreed to send to the Cleveland Cavaliers a 2020 second-round draft pick via the Miami Heat to get the services of four-time All-Star guard Kyrie Irving and consummate the blockbuster trade. The Celtics refused the Cavaliers' demand for a first-round pick to accept Isaiah Thomas who has a hip injury, and Cleveland finally agreed to finalize the deal.

* * *

Last week, the Cavaliers and Celtics agreed on a trade that dealt on sending Irving to Boston for two-time All-Star Thomas, forward Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and an unprotected 2018 first-round draft pick via the Brooklyn Nets.

* * *

"There's never been an indication that I wouldn't be back, and there's never been an indication that this is something messing up my career," Thomas was quoted by ESPN. "Maybe I am not going to be back as soon this season as everyone wants me to be, but I'm going to be back, and I'm going to be the same player again. No doctor has told me anything different than that."

* * *

The 28-year-old Thomas is on his final year of his contract and is going on a $100 million-plus contract in free agency. He had the best season of his career in 2016-17, averaging 28.9 points per game. In his three seasons with the Celtics, his transformation as one of the NBA's elite guards.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Maloney L. Samaco.

Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Knicks Beat Cavaliers 109-93 Behind Hart’s Postseason Career-High 26 in East Finals
    By Reylan Loberternos, Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Rep. Barzaga invited in Bakbakan sa Putatan
    By Lito delos Reyes, Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Weights Set from San Jose: Amari Jones and Vincenzo Gualtieri Cleared for IBF Middleweight Eliminator
    Fri, 22 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Gilgeous-Alexander Back to MVP Form as Thunder Top Spurs 122-113 in West Game 2
    By Reylan Loberternos, Fri, 22 May 2026
  • IBA flag raised at the peak of Mount Everest following historic ascent
    Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Jacamos fights for vacant WBC Youth World junior fly in South Africa on May 23
    By Lito delos Reyes, Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Lastimosa to fight for vacant PBF Youth light fly crown
    By Lito delos Reyes, Fri, 22 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Adds Seven Wins on Day Four at 2026 Copa America
    Fri, 22 May 2026
  • Bohat fights for PBF Silver bantamweight crown
    By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 21 May 2026
  • AGM Bernardino to hold chess simul in San Manuel, Tarlac
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 21 May 2026
  • JONES VS. GUALTIERI FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE
    Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Round 12 with Mauricio Sulaiman: From Madrid to Johannesburg – The Legacy of the WBC in South Africa
    By Mauricio Sulaimán, Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TYSON VS. MAYWEATHER EXHIBITION IS ON— TYSON BROKEN HAND PUSHES EVENT FROM SPRING TO FALL OF 2026
    Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Three Lions Promotions Building pro boxing back to Glory days in Metro Vancouver
    Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Jenn Perella shines, Bobby Laing stops Russ Kimber in 1st round
    Thu, 21 May 2026