Mobile Home | Desktop Version




PBA: Stop the savagery, please

By Recah Trinidad
PhilBoxing.com
Tue, 24 Jul 2012



THE opening game of the PBA Governors? Cup Finals on Sunday was complete with all the ingredients, it was terrific, exciting, colorful, and many more.

It was extremely physical, rugged and rough.

It had more than its share of the so-called fireworks.

It also reached a reckless point when Tim Cone hurled a chair on the playing floor.

Cone vehemently protested a non-call on the hard-driving James Yap.

The B-Meg coach was slapped a technical, ejected.

**

Of course, it was not only that non-call which got Cone?s goat.
He reached the breaking point after his men got pitifully left on the receiving end of a barreling, battering offensive.

The banging and the charging were so rampant it was easy to suspect the officials could also be preparing to try out for stints in a rugby tournament.

These referees, of course, could not be expected to work ultimate fight matches, although there was one baseline scuffle when an official was dragged down the floor as though he was working a mixed-martial-arts fight.

**

It?s baffling how basic rules on decent physicality had been thrown out of the window.

If to cops, the referees had refused to police the game.
Or if they had to perform as band members that could use rules to enhance the athletic dancing on the floor, they goofed.
Were they naturally dumb, or were they ordered to go blind?
If not, how and why did they help the game border again and again on the savage?

**

Something must be done and Cone warned the series could go totally out of hand.

?The officials must do something about it,? he said.

Cone was seen several times livid, screaming over glaring non-calls.

Explained coach Yeng Guiao of winner Rain or Shine: ?I?m really proud of the way the boys handled the pressure and the way we played our defense in the second half.?

Cone explained they were not tired.

They however played tame and wasted in much of the second half.
Did they give up out of frustration?

?That?s their style of play,? Cone said. ?But I?m afraid people might get hurt if you do that.?

**

The league commissioner could look at Cone?s stand two ways.
He could take it as a plea or a warning?or both.

Cone said they will break down the video and present it to the Commissioner.

Of course, it goes without saying Commissioner Chito Salud must do something?quick.

Cone explained he had tried hard to keep his fiery, frustrated players under check.

?I can only do so much and the referees have got to help us out,? he said.

Suggestion: The referees must be told to do their job and prevent the Finals from slipping into a savage mess.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Recah Trinidad.

Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Rapista wins WBC Far East Silver super flyweight title
    By Lito delos Reyes, Mon, 16 Feb 2026
  • IM Christian Gian Karlo Tade-Arca faces tough competition in Manny Pacquiao International Open dubbed as 87th Kalilangan Chess Festival 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, Mon, 16 Feb 2026
  • Efe Ajagba vs Charles Martin: Zuffa Heavyweights Square Off on Sunday
    By Chris Carlson, Sun, 15 Feb 2026
  • “The Nightmare” Back in Action: Oguni vs Tapales April 3 in Japan
    By Carlos Costa, Sun, 15 Feb 2026
  • Cold Comfort: Tapales and Vitor Frozen Out in Moscow Heartbreaker
    By Dong Secuya, Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • WBC Celebrates 63 years of dedication to the sports and fighters
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • BOXING STARS FROM AROUND THE WORLD LINING UP FOR 2026 HALL OF FAME WEEKEND IN "BOXING’S HOMETOWN"
    Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • Filipino Boxers Make Weight in Brico Santig's Valentine's Show in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • Filipinos Vitor and Tapales Take on Russians for IBF Asia Titles in Moscow Today
    By Dong Secuya, Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Returns to Pechanga Resort Casino in Temecula, Calif. with a Pair of World Championship Bouts
    Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • IOAN CROFT AND GARAN CROFT SIGN FOR MATCHROOM BOXING AS EDDIE HEARN LOOKS AHEAD TO BRIGHT FUTURE FOR EXCITING WELSH TWINS
    Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • 3 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Marco Antonio Barrera Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • Day One Concludes at 2026 USA Boxing International Open
    Thu, 12 Feb 2026
  • Female Boxing GOAT Katie Taylor to be Special guest at All-N.E. Golden Gloves Thursday, Feb. 12, in Lowell, MA
    Thu, 12 Feb 2026
  • Brandon McCarthy Signs with Wise Owl Boxing, Set to Make Noise at 135 lbs
    Thu, 12 Feb 2026