Mobile Home | Desktop Version




Heroic, but not all?s well with Mayol

By Recah Trinidad
PhilBoxing.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2012



IT?S not exactly ?all?s well that ends well? in the case of former world boxing champion Rodel Mayol.

He promptly threw away a crack at the world flyweight crown by stopping a championship anomaly in Sonora, Mexico over the weekend.

Mayol, without throwing a punch, scored heroically and made the Filipino proud.

He took a brave, principled stand by withdrawing from the championship, thereby preventing a wholesale fraud.

Mayol, 30, refused to be bought into fighting the overweight Mexican champion Hernan (Tyson) Marquez.

As a result, he was denied his rightful purse.

He has also been threatened with a lifetime ban.

**

The Games and Amusements Board, governing body for professional sports in the country, has vowed to investigate and come to the aid of Mayol.

Nothing has so far been heard from the GAB, which said it would wait for a full report from Mayol.

Manny Paquiao, whose MP Promotions took charge of Mayol?s frustrated crown bid in Mexico, has promised ?unconditional support? for his fighter, a former world champion.

Pacquiao has been busy slugging it out with the Bureau of Internal revenue on his questioned payment of taxes that ?substantially dipped to some P7 million in 2009 from P100 million in 2008.?

Harassment, Pacquiao cried.

We love you, but please pay your taxes, countered the BIR.

**

Anyway, based on initial information, Mayol could?ve fallen to a trap had he bit the additional $10, 000 (to his announced $20,000 purse) to disregard the farcical weigh-in.

International boxing correspondent Anthony Andales said Mayol felt insulted because it was clear, in the presence of WBA officials, that Marquez did not make the official weight.

?Officials did not even bother to say anything, while there was not even a hint of remorse from Marquez that he didn?t make the weight,? Andales quoted Mayol as saying.

**

Dr. Ed de la Vega, contacted by the Inquirer in California, confirmed that there was indeed an offer of additional $10,000 to Mayol.

Said Dr. De la Vega:

?Sorry it took so long for me to to reply. I had to trace where Rodel was so I can get the info straight from him Rodel said he was not forced to take the fight Rodel said Michael Koncz indeed came to him and said that ?to save the promotion they are offering him $10,000 more?. Rodel said he was not coerced.

He said Koncz left the decision to him on whether or not to accept the offer.

My real concern was why would Koncz?s primary concern be to save the promotion instead of Mayol?s health?

Mayol agreed with me, but he said Koncz did mention his health too and allowed him to make a decision.

In so far as Richie Mepranum was concerned, Mayol would not comment on why he had agreed to fight Marquez instead.

Mayol was indeed sad that Mepranum should have refused to fight Marquez and stood shoulder to shoulder with him.

"I will also try to talk to Mepranum. Thank you for your continued concern.?


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Recah Trinidad.

Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Rapista wins WBC Far East Silver super flyweight title
    By Lito delos Reyes, Mon, 16 Feb 2026
  • IM Christian Gian Karlo Tade-Arca faces tough competition in Manny Pacquiao International Open dubbed as 87th Kalilangan Chess Festival 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, Mon, 16 Feb 2026
  • Efe Ajagba vs Charles Martin: Zuffa Heavyweights Square Off on Sunday
    By Chris Carlson, Sun, 15 Feb 2026
  • “The Nightmare” Back in Action: Oguni vs Tapales April 3 in Japan
    By Carlos Costa, Sun, 15 Feb 2026
  • Cold Comfort: Tapales and Vitor Frozen Out in Moscow Heartbreaker
    By Dong Secuya, Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • WBC Celebrates 63 years of dedication to the sports and fighters
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • BOXING STARS FROM AROUND THE WORLD LINING UP FOR 2026 HALL OF FAME WEEKEND IN "BOXING’S HOMETOWN"
    Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • Filipino Boxers Make Weight in Brico Santig's Valentine's Show in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • Filipinos Vitor and Tapales Take on Russians for IBF Asia Titles in Moscow Today
    By Dong Secuya, Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Returns to Pechanga Resort Casino in Temecula, Calif. with a Pair of World Championship Bouts
    Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • IOAN CROFT AND GARAN CROFT SIGN FOR MATCHROOM BOXING AS EDDIE HEARN LOOKS AHEAD TO BRIGHT FUTURE FOR EXCITING WELSH TWINS
    Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • 3 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Marco Antonio Barrera Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • Day One Concludes at 2026 USA Boxing International Open
    Thu, 12 Feb 2026
  • Female Boxing GOAT Katie Taylor to be Special guest at All-N.E. Golden Gloves Thursday, Feb. 12, in Lowell, MA
    Thu, 12 Feb 2026
  • Brandon McCarthy Signs with Wise Owl Boxing, Set to Make Noise at 135 lbs
    Thu, 12 Feb 2026