
More Than Meets The Eye in Inoue-Casimero Fight Sked
By Teodoro Medina Reynoso
PhilBoxing.com
Sun, 26 Jul 2020

Inoue injured his right eye during the Donaire fight.
There is more than meets the eye in the ongoing apparent efforts to salvage the much bruited triple bantamweight championship bout between Naoya Inoue and Johnriel Casimero set in the US.
In fact, literally speaking, Naoya's right eye could still be a continuing cause of concern among his handlers and supporters even today, more than half a year after it was damaged in his last fight versus Nonito Donaire.
That could be the reason why Naoya has been delaying his travel to the US. For truth to tell, given their respective attitude towards the Covid-19 pandemic, it would seem easier for a Japanese to enter the US than an American entering Japan with the latter's stricter protocol.
The official reason of the Inoue camp of course is the delay in the issuance of his travel visa and that they are still hoping that Top Rank promoter Bob Arum can still stage the fight with audience this summer or early fall, September the latest.
However, like everyone else, they may be skeptical that TR can pull it off especially with Arum's recent press statements that the fight can only happen behind closed doors with both Naoya and Johnriel agreeing to pay cuts.
Without mentioning any figures, Arum said Naoya has agreed to a pay cut though Naoya's camp has yet to confirm that and that he is now awaiting the agreement of the Casimero camp for a similar pay cut.
But that is not that easy as it would appear.
MP Promotion's Sean Gibbons has said that they would wait for the arrival of Inoue in the USA for a discussion with Top Rank in his presence before making a final decision on taking pay cut.
Casimero has been in the US since February in preparation for the original April 25 fight date with Inoue and his camp has already incurred huge expenses since then awaiting for Inoue and the rescheduling of the fight.
It is clear that the Casimero camp has done their part of the original agreement being in the fight venue and preparing since February and has been incurring extra costs from cancellation of the April fight date.
All these while Naoya has been taking his sweet time further healing and cooling his heels in Japan. The last time that Naoya was reported to have started sparring was late January yet and since the postponement, nothing has been heard about his preparations.
It would be unfair for Casimero and his camp to agree to a pay cut without Arum taking all of these things into consideration. At the very least, they have to be recompensated for the extra expenses they have been incurring.
But then, Arum even had the nerve to announce that if Casimero does not agree to a pay cut, he has Australian Jason Moloney as fallback foe for Inoue in what he claims to be an "even better matchup".
My haunch is that Naoya could have agreed to a pay cut with the Arum promise of a Moloney fight--- which is an easier fight---anticipating that Casimero will not agree to a pay cut, thus taking the Filipino out of the picture.
For the time being.
You see, Ohashi Promotion, Inoue's handler, has been reported as favoring an interim fight for both Naoya and Johnriel in the US prior to their meeting later this year or early next year preferably in Japan.
One step backward, two steps forward.
Naoya 's handlers could have agreed on him taking a lesser amount most likely against a different and easier opponent in a behind closed door fight for his obligated Top Rank championship debut in the US. But for the chance to have his unification bout versus the dangerous Casimero held in Japan this winter.
Ohashi Promotion said they have a venue that could accommodate at least 10,000 spectators even under a strict medical protocol.
The projected Inoue-Casimero fight held with live spectators could even a a test run for Japan's postponed holding of the Olympics next year.
In the unlikely event of Casimero agreeing to a pay cut, I suspect the Inoue's camp can still contrive of a way to force him out by continuous stalling and delaying as can be gleaned from Naoya's still uncertain date of arrival in the US.
My haunch is that Naoya will eventually defend against Moloney with Casimero forced to take an interim fight possibly in the undercard.
With both winning, thus setting the stage for their meeting in Japan later.
The author Teodoro Medina Reynoso is a veteran boxing radio talk show host living in the Philippines. He can be reached at teddyreynoso@yahoo.com and by phone 09215309477.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Teodoro Medina Reynoso.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
OFFICIAL WEIGHTS AND QUOTES FROM TODAY’S OFFICIAL WEIGH-INS AND PRESS CONFERENCE FOR MANNY PACQUIAO PROMOTIONS’ HIGHLY ANTICIPATED U.S. DEBUT TOMORROW, SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 29
Sat, 29 Nov 2025Tagaytay Hosts 3rd Asian Chess Championship for Disabled 2025
By Marlon Bernardino, Sat, 29 Nov 2025WEIGHTS FROM PROBOXTV’S ‘THE CONTENDER SERIES’ AT SAVE MART CENTER IN FRESNO, SAT., NOVEMBER 29
Sat, 29 Nov 2025BIRMINGHAM WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED AS BEN WHITTAKER PREPARES FOR MATCHROOM DEBUT
Fri, 28 Nov 2025Coach Marvin Somodio: Full of Life and Punch at 42
By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Fri, 28 Nov 2025Boston Ends Detroit's Winning Streak at 12; Celtics Trip Pistons, 117-114 at the Garden
By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, Fri, 28 Nov 20257-Eleven Run 2026 set on Jan. 31-Feb. 1
By Lito delos Reyes, Fri, 28 Nov 2025Carlos Cañizales Forced to Cancel Flight to Thailand for WBC World Title Defense
By Carlos Costa, Thu, 27 Nov 2025World Boxing Champions Promotions to Present Manny Pacquiao & Freddie Roach with Inaugural “Centurion Awards” During Manny Pacquiao Promotions Event on November 29
Thu, 27 Nov 2025Atif Oberlton Takes on Vaughn Alexander on Saturday, December 6th at The 2300 Arena in Philadelphia
Thu, 27 Nov 2025Iligan tops in PEKAF Mindanao qualifying tourney
By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 27 Nov 2025INTERNATIONAL BOXING HALL OF FAME TO ANNOUNCE CLASS OF 2026 ON THURSDAY, DECEMBER 4th
Thu, 27 Nov 2025World Renowned Boxing Trainer Bob Santos Launches Private Boxing Camp in Las Vegas
Thu, 27 Nov 2025Eight Boxers Remain in WBC Grand Prix Finals On December 20
Wed, 26 Nov 2025WBA/WBO Cruiserweight Champion Gilberto ‘Zurdo’ Ramirez Confirms World Title Fight with David Benavidez on Cinco de Mayo in Las Vegas
Wed, 26 Nov 2025