Mobile Home | Desktop Version




GAB Submits Proposed Framework for Return of Boxing, Other Pro Sports

By Teodoro Medina Reynoso
PhilBoxing.com
Tue, 09 Jun 2020


Mitra.

The Games and Amusement Board (GAB) under the dynamic leadership of Chairman Abraham "Baham" Mitra has been working all along in a bid to return boxing and other professional sports under its regulation in a new normal regime in response against the still ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.

After thorough studies and direct consultations with the different professional sports organizations in the country, the GAB has officially submitted the Proposed Framework for the Resumption of Professional Sports in the Philippines in Anticipation to the New Normal to the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID).

The document has been carefully drafted by GAB and other professional sports bodies, such as Philippine Basketball Association (PBA), Philippine Football Federation (PFF), among others, in order to ensure the safe return of sporting and amusement events following their temporary halt due to COVID-19 threat.

The proposal shall likewise serve as a guide to help the IATF in assessing all the risk factors and the earliest but most reasonable time for the resumption of professional sports events, such as boxing, muay thai, MMA, motocross, triathlon and amusement games like horse racing in the country, while putting into consideration the socioeconomic impact of COVID-19 pandemic on the lives of Filipino professional athletes and other GAB licensees.

"We are in close coordination with the different professional sports bodies. PFF submitted its operational protocols last week, while PBA submitted its own health and safety guidelines last Friday. PFF is proposing to adopt a "No spectators rule and to shorten football conferences," said Chairman Baham Mitra.

Meanwhile, Boxing and other contact sports Division Chief Dr. Jesuscito Garcia has proposed a closed-door setting for boxing, MMA and Muay thai events to ensure the safety of professional combat sports athletes and ring officials.

"This initiative is also being done by other industries. We are hoping that DOH and IATF will consider our proposal and the health and safety protocols included therein, in order to help our professional athletes and their families survive this trying time in our nation's history," said GAB Chairman Baham Mitra.

Also, Dr. Redentor Viernes, GAB Medical Section Chief, submitted copies of GAB General Medical Guidelines and Health Declaration Form to the Department of Health last month for initial consideration.

In a related development, the Omega Pro Boxing Promotion is planning to resume boxing in the Visayas in July or August if both the government and the GAB will allow it in a move that has drawn support from other promoters and praise from boxers including multi division world champion Donnie Ahas Nietes.

Omega plans to assemble an eight-bout show featuring their young prospects from light flyweight to lightweight against upcoming boxers from around Cebu province to be held behind close doors at their gym inside the International Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (IPI) compound in Cebu City.

If approved, they committed to implement all necessary health protocols to ensure the safety and welfare of all those involved in the event

Omega head trainer Julius Junco said they have already a set of safety guidelines and protocols for their closed door promotion based on GAB standards that includes PCR testing for all boxers and officials, wearing of masks and physical distancing.

Junco said they are willing to absorb the costs of putting up the event even without government or private funding support in a determined bid to return boxing especially for the boxing loving Cebuanos.

Hopefully soon, TV networks and private sponsors will see the worth of investing in pro sports for the entertainment of the Filipino people and as another viable way to reboot the national economy.

The author Teodoro Medina Reynoso is a veteran boxing radio talk show host living in the Philippines. He can be reached at teddyreynoso@yahoo.com and by phone 09215309477.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Teodoro Medina Reynoso.

Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • OFFICIAL WEIGHTS AND QUOTES FROM TODAY’S OFFICIAL WEIGH-INS AND PRESS CONFERENCE FOR MANNY PACQUIAO PROMOTIONS’ HIGHLY ANTICIPATED U.S. DEBUT TOMORROW, SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 29
    Sat, 29 Nov 2025
  • Tagaytay Hosts 3rd Asian Chess Championship for Disabled 2025
    By Marlon Bernardino, Sat, 29 Nov 2025
  • WEIGHTS FROM PROBOXTV’S ‘THE CONTENDER SERIES’ AT SAVE MART CENTER IN FRESNO, SAT., NOVEMBER 29
    Sat, 29 Nov 2025
  • BIRMINGHAM WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED AS BEN WHITTAKER PREPARES FOR MATCHROOM DEBUT
    Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • Coach Marvin Somodio: Full of Life and Punch at 42
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • Boston Ends Detroit's Winning Streak at 12; Celtics Trip Pistons, 117-114 at the Garden
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • 7-Eleven Run 2026 set on Jan. 31-Feb. 1
    By Lito delos Reyes, Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • Carlos Cañizales Forced to Cancel Flight to Thailand for WBC World Title Defense
    By Carlos Costa, Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • World Boxing Champions Promotions to Present Manny Pacquiao & Freddie Roach with Inaugural “Centurion Awards” During Manny Pacquiao Promotions Event on November 29
    Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • Atif Oberlton Takes on Vaughn Alexander on Saturday, December 6th at The 2300 Arena in Philadelphia
    Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • Iligan tops in PEKAF Mindanao qualifying tourney
    By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • INTERNATIONAL BOXING HALL OF FAME TO ANNOUNCE CLASS OF 2026 ON THURSDAY, DECEMBER 4th
    Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • World Renowned Boxing Trainer Bob Santos Launches Private Boxing Camp in Las Vegas
    Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • Eight Boxers Remain in WBC Grand Prix Finals On December 20
    Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • WBA/WBO Cruiserweight Champion Gilberto ‘Zurdo’ Ramirez Confirms World Title Fight with David Benavidez on Cinco de Mayo in Las Vegas
    Wed, 26 Nov 2025