
DESPITE BELFAST HOME DISADVANTAGE, ANCAJAS IS THE FAVORITE AGAINST CONLAN
By Maloney L. Samaco
PhilBoxing.com
Wed, 15 Nov 2017

Filipino champion Jerwin Ancajas is the heavy favorite days before his third defense of the International Boxing Federation (IBF) superflyweight title against challenger Jamie Conlan on November 18 at the SSE Arena in Belfast, Northern Ireland. The betting odds had placed Ancajas as a 4-1 popular choice to retain his title. This will also be Ancajas' third straight match outside the country after he grabbed the crown from Puerto Rican McJoe Arroyo in Taguig City last September.
* * *
Since then, Ancajas (27-1-1, KOs) has defended his title against Mexican Jose Alfredo Rodriguez by 8th round TKO in Macau last January and Japanese Teiru Kinoshita by 8th round TKO in Brisbane last July. Fighting under the promotional banner Manny Pacquiao?s MP Promotions, Jerwin?s preparation and condition is going on smoothly, declared his manager and trainer Joven Jimenez. "We?re going to see a faster and stronger Jerwin in Belfast,? Jimenez told The Manila Times.
* * *
Ancajas quickly started his training last July in Cavite three weeks after his victory in Brisbane, his manager added. Ancajas is one of the only three reigning Filipino world champions, the other two being Milan Melindo and Donnie Nietes. Ancajas emphasized that he concentrated on improving his endurance, speed and strength for the scheduled title defense. He said that the longer the fight goes on, Conlan will be more dangerous but not that durable based on his previous bouts.
* * *
Conlan (19-0, 11 KOs) respects Ancajas and believes he is better than WBA champion Kal Yafai and WBC title holder Srisaket Sor Rungvisai. He believes Ancajas is the second best in the division with WBO superflyweight Naoya Inoue being the best. ?He is a great fighter. To be a world champion in the superflyweight division says something about you. It?s the toughest I?ve seen in the world at the moment,? Conlan praised Ancajas in an interview at Ring TV.
* * *
But even as he appreciates the ability of the Filipino champ, the Irish challenger is determined to grab the belt from him having experienced fighting tough opponents in the ring and with the support of the huge Belfast hometown crowd during the match. He warns Ancajas that he now fights at the Belfast Arena where 10,000 people are cheering for the Irishman. Should Conlan upset Ancajas, he wants unification bouts with the other three world superflyweight champions.
* * *
Next month, Guillermo Rigondeaux (17-0, 11 KOs) will challenge WBO super featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko (9-1, 7 KOs) in a match of two double Olympic champions. ?Rigondeaux has more quality than Lomachenko, he?s a better boxer,? said coach Pedro D?az as quoted by BoxingScene. He added that Lomachenko has more help especially fron the media, but they are not worried about that.
* * *
"On December 9 the world is going to see once again who Rigondeaux is, because he?s done it before, and he?ll do it again," warned Diaz. ?For me Nonito Donaire was more dangerous than Lomachenko, in terms of punching power, plus he was the Fighter of the Year in 2012. He also had a great team. I don?t want to comment on Lomachenko?s recent fights, he throws a lot of punches but he doesn?t punch hard, and Donaire punched hard. Lomachenko is a southpaw as is Rigondeaux and you?re going to see a surprise."
* * *
Six division world champion Oscar De La Hoya appeared on Golden Boy Radio produced by his promotional company, and revealed that he's been training for a comeback fight at age 44 years old, targetting UFC champion Conor McGregor. De La Hoya thinks he could stop McGregor in only two rounds. He said he has been working out for the last five months and has been secretly training. He added he feels faster than ever, and stronger than ever, and could take out Conor McGregor in two rounds.
* * *
WBO welterweight champion Jeff Horn (17-0-1, 11 KOs) has promised another surprise next year in a fight with Terence Crawford, who moved up to the welterweight class. Both Horn and Crawford are promoted by Bob Arum of Top Rank. Horn is scheduled to face No. 10 contender Gary Corcoran in a voluntary defense of the WBO title on December 13 at the Brisbane Convention Centre. After the match, Horn is taking a rest too take care of his wife which will give birth to their first child in January.
* * *
Because of the planned time off, Horn may not be ready for a proposed date on April 7th to fight Crawford. ?At the moment with all the events and promotions I have to attend everything is flying by so fast it?s like the weeks have become days,? Horn told Fox Sports. He said he is very keen to fight Crawford. "They?ve made him the top contender for my title and he has a great record but I know I can beat him like I beat Pacquiao," added Horn. He just want to have the right timing and when it happens.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Maloney L. Samaco.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
2026 USA Boxing Elite High Performance Set to Compete at Strandja 2026 Boxing Tournament in Sofia, Bulgaria
Sun, 22 Feb 2026SMEP, SAEP round 6 standoff in PTC WED NEMO 4th D’ Engineers Chess Cup
By Marlon Bernardino, Sun, 22 Feb 2026Late Valentine’s gift for Lover Boy
By Joaquin Henson, Sat, 21 Feb 2026“Prince” Albert Pagara Heads to Perth, Australia, for WBC Australasia Title Fight
By Carlos Costa, Sat, 21 Feb 2026BARRIOS vs GARCIA (FIGHT ANALYSIS)
By Ralph Rimpell, Sat, 21 Feb 2026FLOYD MAYWEATHER UNRETIRES
Sat, 21 Feb 2026WBC Introduces new award "WBC Main Event" world championship Chain & Pendant
By Gabriel F. Cordero, Sat, 21 Feb 2026WOOD-WARRINGTON II OFFICIAL WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED FOR SOLD-OUT REMATCH IN NOTTINGHAM
Sat, 21 Feb 2026"Rompete la Madre" documentary is now in the Mexican theaters
By Gabriel F. Cordero, Sat, 21 Feb 2026A Massive Weekend Ahead for Renowned Trainer Bob Santos
Sat, 21 Feb 2026Barrios vs Garcia: Where Art Thou Ryan Garcia?
By Chris Carlson, Fri, 20 Feb 2026Pacman bout details revealed
By Joaquin Henson, Fri, 20 Feb 2026IIEE to defend Billiard crown in PTC World 2026, World Champ Magpantay is PSA Awardee
By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 20 Feb 2026Wood-Warrington II Press Conference Quotes: Everything that Was Said Ahead of Saturday's Sold-Out Rematch in Nottingham
Fri, 20 Feb 2026Manny Pacquiao Promotions Announces Opponents for Rising Stars Jimuel Pacquiao Jr. and Curmel Moton on Feb. 28 at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York
Fri, 20 Feb 2026