
Arroyo injures left hand; title-defense against Ancajas in jeopardy
By Lito delos Reyes
PhilBoxing.com
Tue, 12 Apr 2016

INTERNATIONAL Boxing Federation (IBF) super flyweight champion McJoe Arroyo injured his left hand in training thus making his first title-defense against Filipino challenger Jerwin ?Pretty Boy? Ancajas on April 16 in the Philippine in jeopardy.
Arroyo (17W-0L, 8KOs) postponed his media workout last Wednesday - just nine days before his championship fight at the Strike Coliseum in Bacoor, Cavite - due to what was loosely described as a minor lesion in his left hand according to a report by Boxingscene.com.
Arroyo decided to postpone the media workout to check his injured hand with an orthopedic specialist.
Puerto Rico Best Boxing Promotions (PRBBP) vice-president Peter Rivera said that they are ?hoping that the injury is not something serious and that Arroyo can resume training later this week.?
?For now, the hope is that a quick visit to the doctor?s office will produce good news and only result in one missed day of training,? said the Boxingscene.com.
The report added that ?there hasn?t been any suggestions of a backup plan or any talks of his (Arroyo) potentially withdrawing from his April 16 road trip to the Philippines.?
If Arroyo?s camp can provide medical proof of his injury, the champion will be given a medical extension for up to 60 days to recover. And if it exceeds 60 days and the champion will still not be available to defend his title, he will be stripped of the title.
Boxingscene.com said the IBF has not yet received anything from PRBBP to indicate the nature of the injury and the amount of time to recover according to IBF Championships Chairman Lindsey Tucker.
Arroyo won the title in a technical decision win over Arthur Villanueva also of the Philippines last July in El Paso, Texas. The Arroyo-Ancajas bout is being promoted by Manny Pacquiao?s MP Promotions, which won the purse bid thru lone bidder Samson Lewkowicz last February 12.
Meanwhile, Ancajas? manager Joven Jimenez said that they are now just waiting for the decision of the IBF on whether the fight will be postponed or not.
?Sa ngayon, maghintay na lang muna kami. Hindi muna ako mag comment,? said Jimenez.
Ancajas, on the other hand, already posted on his Facebook account: ?Sorry po postponed po yong laban ko sa april 16. Injury po kc c Mcjoe Arroyo.?
Ancajas (24W-1L-1D-16KOs) had been training in Cavite and Tanay, Rizal since he left the MP Davao Gym in Davao City more than a month ago.
He also just recently had a partner play with Olympian Mark Anthony Barriga of the Philippine national team. Barriga and Ancajas are both products of the Panabo City Amateur Boxing Program.
Ancajas, however, opted to turn pro at the young age of 17. ? LITO DELOS REYES
FOTO: Olympian Mark Anthony Barriga (left) with Jerwin Ancajas after their partner play in Cavite gym recently.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Lito delos Reyes.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
Rapista wins WBC Far East Silver super flyweight title
By Lito delos Reyes, Mon, 16 Feb 2026IM Christian Gian Karlo Tade-Arca faces tough competition in Manny Pacquiao International Open dubbed as 87th Kalilangan Chess Festival 2026
By Marlon Bernardino, Mon, 16 Feb 2026Efe Ajagba vs Charles Martin: Zuffa Heavyweights Square Off on Sunday
By Chris Carlson, Sun, 15 Feb 2026“The Nightmare” Back in Action: Oguni vs Tapales April 3 in Japan
By Carlos Costa, Sun, 15 Feb 2026Cold Comfort: Tapales and Vitor Frozen Out in Moscow Heartbreaker
By Dong Secuya, Sat, 14 Feb 2026WBC Celebrates 63 years of dedication to the sports and fighters
By Gabriel F. Cordero, Sat, 14 Feb 2026BOXING STARS FROM AROUND THE WORLD LINING UP FOR 2026 HALL OF FAME WEEKEND IN "BOXING’S HOMETOWN"
Sat, 14 Feb 2026Filipino Boxers Make Weight in Brico Santig's Valentine's Show in Thailand
By Carlos Costa, Sat, 14 Feb 2026Filipinos Vitor and Tapales Take on Russians for IBF Asia Titles in Moscow Today
By Dong Secuya, Fri, 13 Feb 2026Manny Pacquiao Promotions Returns to Pechanga Resort Casino in Temecula, Calif. with a Pair of World Championship Bouts
Fri, 13 Feb 2026IOAN CROFT AND GARAN CROFT SIGN FOR MATCHROOM BOXING AS EDDIE HEARN LOOKS AHEAD TO BRIGHT FUTURE FOR EXCITING WELSH TWINS
Fri, 13 Feb 20263 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Marco Antonio Barrera Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
Fri, 13 Feb 2026Day One Concludes at 2026 USA Boxing International Open
Thu, 12 Feb 2026Female Boxing GOAT Katie Taylor to be Special guest at All-N.E. Golden Gloves Thursday, Feb. 12, in Lowell, MA
Thu, 12 Feb 2026Brandon McCarthy Signs with Wise Owl Boxing, Set to Make Noise at 135 lbs
Thu, 12 Feb 2026