Mobile Home | Desktop Version




Brawl at the Mall: Glory in Gensan Feb. 13

By Lito delos Reyes
PhilBoxing.com
Sun, 10 Jan 2016



THE Sanman Promotions of General Santos City is staging its inaugural boxing show for 2016 with the ?Brawl at the Mall: Glory? on February 13 at the Gaisano Mall Atrium.

The main event is a championship fight for the vacant World Boxing Federation (WBF) International featherweight title between John Vincent ?Mulawin? Moralde of Sanman and Anthony ?Zorro? Sabalde of the Flores and Wakee Salud Boxing Stable from Cebu.

?This will be the first of our scheduled seven or eight boxing shows for this year,? said Sanman Promotions Chief Executive Officer Jim Claude ?JC? Manangquil.

Sanman also hopes to bring one show in Manila soon.

Moralde (14-0-0-7 KOs) and Sabalde (10-4-0-5 KOs) will be fighting for 10 rounds.

?We are testing John Vincent Moralde to face a quality opponent like Sabalde,? said Manangquil.

He said that ?Sabalde is well-trained and is a talented southpaw and should not be taken lightly by Moralde?.

?If Moralde wins, we are planning to set him up in the US together with Harmonito dela Torre, who is currently training now under a Cuban coach,? Manangquil said.

Moralde, on the other hand, said: ?I will work hard for this fight against Sabalde.?

?I usually don?t take my opponent lightly. But I know I will be victorious in this fight. I have confidence with my ability that I soon be a world champion,? added Moralde.

The 21-year old Moralde, a native of Davao City, captured the vacant WBC Asian Boxing Council Continental featherweight title via a unanimous decision against previous undefeated Australian Brayd Smith on March 14, 2015 in Queensland, Australia.

Smith collapsed soon after the bout due to bleeding on the brain, and passed away two days after the bout.

Four months later, Moralde came back to the ring to knockout Fil-American William George in the second round on July 11 at the Robinson?s Mall Atrium in Gensan.

Moralde continued his winning form by a unanimous decision against Jerry Castroverde of Cebu at the Gaisano Mall Atrium also in Gensan on September 26 last year.

Moralde recently arrived from Japan together with stablemate Romero ?Ruthless? Duno where they were both hired for three weeks as sparring partners of former WBC bantamweight world champion Hozumi Hasegawa.

Sabalde, on the other hand, previously stopped Phil Angcamor in the 4th round last February 28 at the Valencia City gym in Bukidnon.

He also won by a UD against Bonnie Makiling last November 24, 2014 in Kitaotao, Bukidnon.

Sabalde fought but lost to Jessie Cris Rosales by a UD in their title-fight for the vacant WBO Asia Pacific Youth featherweight crown held May 3, 2014 at the Waterfront Hotel and Casino in Cebu.

Meanwhile, Duno and bantamweight Michael Angelo ?Magic? Plania also from Sanman are seeing action in the undercard.

Duno (8-0-0-7KOs) will face Jason ?Siaton Boy? Egara (21-16-0-10 KOs) of Siaton, Negros Oriental for the vacant Philippine Boxing Federation super featherweight title.

The 18-year old Plania (8-0-0-4 KOs), a former member of the PH nationa team in the Junior World Championship held in Ukraine will fight Bryan Samson (5-5-0-3 KOs) of Siquijor.

?There will be eight more bouts in the undercard,? said the 23-year old Manangquil, who is probably still the world?s youngest boxing promoter-manager. - LITO DELOS REYES

Photo (left to right): John Vincent Moralde, Sanman Chief finance Officer Dexter "Wangyu" Tan and CEO Jim Clade "JC" Manangquil.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Lito delos Reyes.

Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Rapista wins WBC Far East Silver super flyweight title
    By Lito delos Reyes, Mon, 16 Feb 2026
  • IM Christian Gian Karlo Tade-Arca faces tough competition in Manny Pacquiao International Open dubbed as 87th Kalilangan Chess Festival 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, Mon, 16 Feb 2026
  • Efe Ajagba vs Charles Martin: Zuffa Heavyweights Square Off on Sunday
    By Chris Carlson, Sun, 15 Feb 2026
  • “The Nightmare” Back in Action: Oguni vs Tapales April 3 in Japan
    By Carlos Costa, Sun, 15 Feb 2026
  • Cold Comfort: Tapales and Vitor Frozen Out in Moscow Heartbreaker
    By Dong Secuya, Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • WBC Celebrates 63 years of dedication to the sports and fighters
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • BOXING STARS FROM AROUND THE WORLD LINING UP FOR 2026 HALL OF FAME WEEKEND IN "BOXING’S HOMETOWN"
    Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • Filipino Boxers Make Weight in Brico Santig's Valentine's Show in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, Sat, 14 Feb 2026
  • Filipinos Vitor and Tapales Take on Russians for IBF Asia Titles in Moscow Today
    By Dong Secuya, Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Returns to Pechanga Resort Casino in Temecula, Calif. with a Pair of World Championship Bouts
    Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • IOAN CROFT AND GARAN CROFT SIGN FOR MATCHROOM BOXING AS EDDIE HEARN LOOKS AHEAD TO BRIGHT FUTURE FOR EXCITING WELSH TWINS
    Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • 3 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Marco Antonio Barrera Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    Fri, 13 Feb 2026
  • Day One Concludes at 2026 USA Boxing International Open
    Thu, 12 Feb 2026
  • Female Boxing GOAT Katie Taylor to be Special guest at All-N.E. Golden Gloves Thursday, Feb. 12, in Lowell, MA
    Thu, 12 Feb 2026
  • Brandon McCarthy Signs with Wise Owl Boxing, Set to Make Noise at 135 lbs
    Thu, 12 Feb 2026