Mobile Home | Desktop Version




All or nothing for Magsayo

By Joaquin Henson
PhilBoxing.com
Sat, 21 Dec 2024

MP Promotions head Sean Gibbons knows it’s an all-or-nothing deal for WBC No. 2 superfeatherweight Mark Magsayo as he can’t afford to lose his next two fights in lining himself up for a title shot. Last Saturday, Magsayo decked Ecuador trialhorse Bryan Mercado twice in the first round and twice in the second before referee Gerard White stopped the scheduled sixer at Thunder Studios in Long Beach, California.

Gibbons plans another tune-up for Magsayo, possibly on the same card as the Eduardo (Rocky) Hernandez-Rene (El Bravo) Tellez Giron bout in Oaxaca, Mexico, on Feb. 28. If Magsayo and Hernandez win their next outings, they’ll be matched against each other in a title eliminator with the survivor to challenge the WBC 130-pound champion.

“Mark’s been in the gym for six months and I didn’t want him to go without a fight ‘til the end of the year,” said Gibbons, explaining why he set up the Mercado match. “He’s got to be focused on beating Hernandez and at this point of his career, it’s all or nothing. The dream is for Mark to become a two-time WBC champion.”

Magsayo, who once wore the WBC featherweight crown, is itching to return to the throne, this time in a higher weight class. “Every single day, it’s all what Mark does is box, box, box 24.7 with coach Marvin (Somodio) and him putting in the time,” said Gibbons. “Even though Mercado wasn’t much of a fight, it definitely put Mark through the motions of making the weight, getting the body ready and now he can take a couple of weeks off for the holidays then get right back at it because he’s gonna be fighting for the world title.”

Magsayo said he took the opportunity to experiment a new point of attack against Mercado. “Masaya ako kasi nabigyan ng opportunity ni Sir Sean pagbutihin ko pa sa sunod na fight na mas malaki,” he said. “Masaya din si coach Marvin kasi na-execute ko ang gameplan at ang prinaktis namin. Gusto ko ma-try ang body shot.” It was Magsayo’s left hook to Mercado’s rib cage that produced four knockdowns.

Hernandez, 27, packs a 36-2 record, with 32 KOs. In October last year, the Mexican battled O’Shaquie Foster for the WBC superfeatherweight belt in Cancun and led on two of the three judges’ scorecards when he was dropped and stopped in the 12th round. Hernandez has since come back to win two in a row. Gibbons said if and when Magsayo turns back Hernandez sometime in May, he’ll be the mandatory challenger for Foster who still reigns as WBC strap-holder.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.

Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • 5 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
    By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • SAMPSON BOXING SIGNS TOP UNDEFEATED LIGHT FLYWEIGHT CONTENDER ERICK BADILLO TO CO-PROMOTIONAL CONTRACT
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • TURKISH KNOCKOUT ARTIST ELIF NUR TURHAN PENS PROMOTIONAL DEAL WITH MATCHROOM
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • The Past Week in Action 31 March 2025: Norman Stops Cuevas in 3; Mayer Outpoints Ryan; Zepeda Edges Farmer; Collazo Stops Cano; Yabuki KOs Ayala
    By Eric Armit, Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Wild and Wooly Wind-up Seen in West Top 3-6
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Rise of the Samurai: Inoue vs Nakatani in 2026
    By Carlos Costa, Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Undefeated super middleweight prospect Tommy Hyde a true Irish Road Warrior In Australia for April 11th fight
    Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Melvin the Avenger
    By Joaquin Henson, Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • WORLD-RANKED LIGHTWEIGHT ARMANDO MARTINEZ RABI TO FACE ALBERTO GUEVARA IN MAIN EVENT OF FISTS OF FURY 6
    Wed, 02 Apr 2025
  • Carlos Flowers Shines on Day One for Team USA in World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    Wed, 02 Apr 2025