
Waiting for Godot?
By Joaquin Henson
PhilBoxing.com
Tue, 28 Dec 2021

Vic Saludar (L) and Erick Rosa during their world title fight last week in the Dominican Republic.
The case of dethroned regular WBA minimumweight champion Vic Saludar expecting to be paid his full purse by Dominican Republic promoter Belgica Pena reminds you of Samuel Beckett’s 1948 play “Waiting For Godot” where two characters engage in endless discussion while waiting for Godot who never arrives.
Matchmaker Bebot Elorde, however, says Pena will cough up the balance of the $35,000 purse promised to Saludar. It should’ve been wired yesterday or if not, it will be deposited today. “Nagpadala sya ng $8,000 advance (before the fight) at nagbigay ng $5,000 so ang balance ay $22,000 plus abono ko for visa fee, travel tax, swab tests at quarantine sa Orchid Hotel.” Elorde’s “abono” amounts to $1,980 so he’s anticipating Pena to send over $23,980.
When GAB chairman Baham Mitra was informed of the shortchanging, he quickly emailed WBA supervisor Octavio Rodriguez to pressure Pena to come up with the balance. “We would like to appeal to your honor for assistance to ask the promoter to pay him in full,” said Mitra. “I also understand the team of Saludar will write a protest letter on the officiating of the bout.” If the appeal is ignored, Mitra will likely go straight to WBA president Jesus Mendoza to demand retribution for the anomalies.
Saludar staked his crown against hometowner Erick Rosa at the Hotel Catalonia Malecon Center in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Tuesday last week. The cards were stacked against Saludar from the onset. Referee was Guillermo Perez Pineda of Panama. The judges were Luis Pabon of Puerto Rico, Oscar Perez Carbonell of the Dominican Republic and Reina Urbaez of Venezuela. The officials had to be more sympathetic to Rosa than Saludar. And it showed in the way at least two of the three judges scored the fight. Carbonnel, who is Rosa’s countryman, saw it 116-109, giving Saludar only four rounds. The discrepancy was atrocious. Urbaez succumbed to a conscience pang and scored it for Saludar, 113-112 while Pabon had it 113-112 for Rosa. The split decision awarded Saludar’s belt to Rosa. According to WBA licensed referee/judge Ver Abainza, the organization requires all judges to come from neutral countries unless pandemic restrictions allow for exemptions. Abainza watched the fight on TV and scored it for Saludar, 114-112.
Pineda should be severely chastised for his incompetence. Rosa scored a flash knockdown in the third round, dropping Saludar with a left to the head. The Filipino was caught off-balanced and fell but got up immediately and battled until the end of the round. In the ninth, Rosa and Saludar got tangled in the middle of the ring then the challenger pushed the Filipino down on the canvas. Lo and behold, Pineda gave Saludar a mandatory eight-count. No punch landed to cause the drop. That wasn’t even a slip. It was an illegal takedown and Rosa should’ve been warned for the infraction. In the 10th, Saludar decked Rosa with a right and Pineda ruled a knockdown. Saludar dominated the rest of the way, tagging Rosa with clear shots but it meant nothing at least to Carbonell. If Pineda didn’t call the knockdown in the ninth and Saludar won the round as he did, Pabon’s score would’ve been 114-112 for the Filipino who should’ve retained the title.
A similar case of non-payment happened to Filipino boxer Jonas Sultan who flew to South Africa to take on Ricardo Malajika in a 10-round superflyweight bout on March 21 last year. When Sultan and trainer Edmund Villamor arrived in South Africa a week before the fight, they were told the match was cancelled and advised to leave the next day. Under the terms of the fight contract, Clause 5-D stated that “should the promoter … postpone the tournament or the said contest upon reasonable grounds, he or she may do so, provided he or she pays the boxer 10 percent of the total amount agreed as the purse money between the promoter and boxer.” South African promoter Rodney Berman was obligated to pay Sultan $800 or 10 percent of his purse of $8,000. Mitra emailed Berman to demand payment and Berman said he would remit $2,000 instead----$1,000 for Sultan and $1,000 for Elorde for his expenses, including visa fees and travel tax.
It’s been close to two years now that Berman hasn’t lived up to his promise. “Ayaw magbayad at hindi naman daw lumaban,” said Elorde. “Talo na nga daw sa pamasahe at hotel ng ilang araw. Ako hindi rin nabayaran ni Rodney.” Berman’s losses are beside the point. The contract stipulated a payment with the fight cancellation and it should be enforced. Filipinos shouldn’t be prejudiced by unscrupulous promoters. For sure, Mitra will take up these issues with the world governing bodies and ban the promoters from ever negotiating with Filipino boxers until they make good on their payments.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
OFFICIAL WEIGHTS AND QUOTES FROM TODAY’S OFFICIAL WEIGH-INS AND PRESS CONFERENCE FOR MANNY PACQUIAO PROMOTIONS’ HIGHLY ANTICIPATED U.S. DEBUT TOMORROW, SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 29
Sat, 29 Nov 2025Tagaytay Hosts 3rd Asian Chess Championship for Disabled 2025
By Marlon Bernardino, Sat, 29 Nov 2025WEIGHTS FROM PROBOXTV’S ‘THE CONTENDER SERIES’ AT SAVE MART CENTER IN FRESNO, SAT., NOVEMBER 29
Sat, 29 Nov 2025BIRMINGHAM WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED AS BEN WHITTAKER PREPARES FOR MATCHROOM DEBUT
Fri, 28 Nov 2025Coach Marvin Somodio: Full of Life and Punch at 42
By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Fri, 28 Nov 2025Boston Ends Detroit's Winning Streak at 12; Celtics Trip Pistons, 117-114 at the Garden
By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, Fri, 28 Nov 20257-Eleven Run 2026 set on Jan. 31-Feb. 1
By Lito delos Reyes, Fri, 28 Nov 2025Carlos Cañizales Forced to Cancel Flight to Thailand for WBC World Title Defense
By Carlos Costa, Thu, 27 Nov 2025World Boxing Champions Promotions to Present Manny Pacquiao & Freddie Roach with Inaugural “Centurion Awards” During Manny Pacquiao Promotions Event on November 29
Thu, 27 Nov 2025Atif Oberlton Takes on Vaughn Alexander on Saturday, December 6th at The 2300 Arena in Philadelphia
Thu, 27 Nov 2025Iligan tops in PEKAF Mindanao qualifying tourney
By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 27 Nov 2025INTERNATIONAL BOXING HALL OF FAME TO ANNOUNCE CLASS OF 2026 ON THURSDAY, DECEMBER 4th
Thu, 27 Nov 2025World Renowned Boxing Trainer Bob Santos Launches Private Boxing Camp in Las Vegas
Thu, 27 Nov 2025Eight Boxers Remain in WBC Grand Prix Finals On December 20
Wed, 26 Nov 2025WBA/WBO Cruiserweight Champion Gilberto ‘Zurdo’ Ramirez Confirms World Title Fight with David Benavidez on Cinco de Mayo in Las Vegas
Wed, 26 Nov 2025