
No excuses for title loss
By Joaquin Henson
PhilBoxing.com
Wed, 19 Apr 2023

Former IBF minimumweight champion Rene Mark Cuarto frittered away a chance to earn a shot at regaining the title by letting Japan’s Ginjiro Shigeoka off the hook in the early going then losing his legs due to dehydration before referee Katsuhiko Nakamura waved it off as the Zamboanga del Norte slugger wobbled from his second knockdown in the ninth round at the Yoyogi Gym in Tokyo last Sunday.
Cuarto had a fast start and floored Shigeoka twice in the first round. Nakamura ruled one of the trips a slip. A clash of heads left Cuarto with a cut under his left eye in the second frame but he stayed aggressive. Twice, Shigeoka was on the verge of falling as Cuarto landed stinging right hooks and once, his glove touched the canvas but Nakamura ignored what should’ve been a knockdown. Another accidental headbutt opened a nasty vertical cut over Cuarto’s right eye in the sixth. Cuarto began showing signs of slowing down in the seventh and dropped to a knee on a delayed reaction from a body shot. In the ninth, Cuarto had little left in his tank and was floored twice. A nine-punch barrage capped by a blow to the midsection sent Cuarto down and he barely beat the count only for Nakamura to step in.
The three judges saw Shigeoka ahead at the time of the stoppage with Filipino judge Greg Ortega scoring it 76-74, Japanese judge Michiaki Someya 78-72 and Australian judge Carl Zappia 78-72. The win set up a rematch for Shigeoka with IBF minimumweight champion Daniel Valladares. Early this year, Shigeoka and Valladares fought to a third round no-decision. Valladares had wrested the IBF crown from Cuarto via a split decision last year.
Cuarto’s coach Nonoy Neri, who worked his corner, said Valladares is tougher than Shigeoka. “Matibay si Valladares at malambot si Shigeoka,” he said. “Kung tinuloy ni Cuarto yung atake sa first round, tapos na sana. Naubos lang si Cuarto kasi bago nagsimula ng training mga two months ago, nasa 140 pounds siya. Nalibang sa pagaalaga ng babuyan niya sa farm. Nakuha pa rin ang timbang na 105 pero tataas na siya sa 108.”
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 04 Apr 2025The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Thu, 03 Apr 20255 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Thu, 03 Apr 2025IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025SAMPSON BOXING SIGNS TOP UNDEFEATED LIGHT FLYWEIGHT CONTENDER ERICK BADILLO TO CO-PROMOTIONAL CONTRACT
Thu, 03 Apr 2025TURKISH KNOCKOUT ARTIST ELIF NUR TURHAN PENS PROMOTIONAL DEAL WITH MATCHROOM
Thu, 03 Apr 2025