
Clarin aims to protect Pinoys abroad
By Joaquin Henson
PhilBoxing.com
Tue, 18 Apr 2023

GAB chairman Atty. Richard Clarin was a witness to what would’ve been a travesty of justice if not for a sensational 12th round TKO win by Charly Suarez over previously unbeaten hometowner Paul Fleming to save the day at the Kevin Betts Stadium, Mount Druitt, Sydney recently.
Clarin was at ringside, attending his second overseas assignment after Bangkok and had in mind to file a protest if the fight went the distance and Fleming got the judges’ nod. But the boxing gods intervened in a providential act of the ring heavens as Suarez frustrated a sinister plot to award the decision to Fleming whether or not he deserved it. Entering the final round, the three Australian judges had Fleming comfortably ahead. Dick Israel had it a wide 108-101, Mick Heafey 107-102 and Dean Cambridge 106-103, all for Fleming. If the bout lasted the full route, Fleming would’ve won on points even with Suarez winning the 12th frame.
Suarez said he knew from the onset, the only way to win was by KO. The plan was to tire out Fleming then go for a late stoppage. Suarez’ coach/cornerman Delfin Boholst, a retired Philippine Army officer and a former ABAP national boxer, figured Fleming would engage from start to finish so the door was wide open for a knockout. “Alam namin ‘di tatakbo si Fleming at makikipagsabayan,” said Boholst. To his credit, Fleming could’ve avoided danger by coasting in the last round to win on points but didn’t.
Suarez, a devout Christian, said God showed the way to victory. During the final round, they were in a heated exchange when there was a misstep that threw off Suarez’ timing. Suarez ended up throwing a wild left hook that somehow found its mark. Fleming went down, got up and struggled to stay on his feet. Australian referee Pat O’Connor should’ve stepped in right then and there but gave Fleming a chance to survive. When action was resumed, Suarez went in for the kill. A barrage of blows left Fleming wondering where he was. Fleming spat out his mouthpiece and turned away, leaving O’Connor no choice but to end the carnage. The escape rewarded Suarez with the IBF Intercontinental, IBO Intercontinental and WBC Asian Boxing Council superfeatherweight titles aside from retaining his IBF Asian championship. But the big prize is Suarez, rated No. 8 by IBF and No. 10 by WBA, is now in line to challenge the winner of the Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov-Joe Cordina fight for the IBF crown in Cardiff on April 22 if Fleming doesn’t pursue an immediate rematch.
Boholst said Fleming has the right to a return bout by contract but where isn’t specified. Clarin said he’s hoping to convince sponsors, particularly Manny Pacquiao, to bankroll the rematch in Manila, if ever. The GAB head said he recalled how Pacquiao was prejudiced in his fight against Jeff Horn in Australia and wouldn’t want the same fate for Suarez. “I intend to reach out to international promoters and insist that when Filipinos are involved in overseas bouts, especially with a title at stake, there should be at least one neutral judge when the two other judges are from countries represented by the two boxers,” he said.
Boholst said his dream is for Suarez to face Cordina. “Nag-message ako kay Cordina at sinabi ko panahon na mag-rematch kay Charly,” said Boholst. In the 2016 Rio Olympics, Suarez lost to Cordina by a split decision over three rounds. Suarez, who logged five fights last year, said he hopes to get a chance to avenge the loss and it would be a perfect setting if Cordina beats Rakhimov so they could tangle for the belt. Both Suarez and Cordina are unbeaten as pros.
Photo: GAB chairman Atty Richard Clarin (to the right of Charly Suarez) and members of Team Suarez, celebrate after Suarez's knockout victory over Paul Fleming recently in Sydney, Australia.
Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Fri, 04 Apr 2025Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
Fri, 04 Apr 2025PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 04 Apr 2025The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Thu, 03 Apr 20255 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
Thu, 03 Apr 2025Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
Thu, 03 Apr 2025IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025SAMPSON BOXING SIGNS TOP UNDEFEATED LIGHT FLYWEIGHT CONTENDER ERICK BADILLO TO CO-PROMOTIONAL CONTRACT
Thu, 03 Apr 2025TURKISH KNOCKOUT ARTIST ELIF NUR TURHAN PENS PROMOTIONAL DEAL WITH MATCHROOM
Thu, 03 Apr 2025