Mobile Home | Desktop Version
Pulev and Magdaleno are victorious in Costa Mesa
Sun, 24 Mar 2019
- Pulev knocks out Bogdan Dinu in the 7th round
- Magdaleno dominates Rico Ramos by Unanimous Decision
COSTA MESA (March 23, 2019)— Kubrat Pulev wanted to send a resounding message to the big names of the heavyweight division, and he did so by scoring an emphatic knockout victory in front of a sold-out crowd at The Hangar.
After recovering from a flurry of punches that caused a dangerous cut on his left eyebrow in the fourth episode, the Bulgarian contender blasted Bogdan Dinu by technical knockout at 2:40 of the seventh round.
"This is just part of being in a fight. The cut was not such a big problem. Sometimes blood makes me very hungry", said Pulev. "I was very well prepared. I was ready for anything. At this moment I feel I can do anything inside the ring. I showed very good boxing skills. I also showed that I have good punching power and a good strategy".
MAGDALENO DOMINATES RAMOS
In his featherweight debut, former world champion Jessie Magdaleno returned to the winning route by scoring a unanimous decision victory over former world titleholder Rico Ramos to capture the WBC USNBC Featherweight title. This was Magdaleno's first fight since losing his WBO super bantamweight world title in April of 2018 against Isaac Dogboe.
"I came back from a long layoff and felt great against a tough opponent and a former world champion", said Magdaleno. "Ramos is a great fighter, he was a former world champion for a reason, but tonight only one of us could come out victorious, and that was me. Now I'm going to sit down with my team, go back to the drawing board, and see what I have to keep working on to become a world champion once again".
In other action:
• Top 140-pound contender Maxim Dadashev (13-0, 11 KOs) scored a spectacular technical knockout victory against Ricky Sismundo (35-13-3, 17 KOs) at 2:30 of the fourth round.
• South African welterweight contender Chris Van Heerden (27-2-1, 12 KOs) defeated Mahonry Montes (35-9-1, 24 KOs) via technical unanimous decision after an accidental clash of heads forced the referee to stop the fight at 1:44 of the sixth round.
• Unbeaten Mexican contender Erick De León (19-0-1, 11 KOs) recovered from a flash knockdown in the fifth round to score a seventh-round technical knockout victory against Jose Luis Gallegos (16-6, 12 KOs) in an eight-round junior lightweight fight.
• Undefeated prospect Tervel Pulev (13-0, 11 KOs), brother of heavyweight contender Kubrat Pulev, scored a unanimous decision victory against Mitch Williams (16-8-3) in a six-round cruiserweight fight.
• Javier Molina (19-2, 8 KOs) notched a unanimous decision victory against Abdiel Ramirez (24-4-1, 22 KOs) in an eight-round super lightweight battle.
• Middleweight prospect David Kaminsky improved to 4-0 with a unanimous decision over Estevan Payan (1-7-1, 1 KO). All three judges scored the four-rounder 40-36.
Recent PhilBoxing articles:
PHOTOS: KEITH THURMAN LAS VEGAS GRAND ARRIVAL
By , Wed, 17 Jul 2019FITE adds more territories for Pacquiao vs Thurman
By , Wed, 17 Jul 2019SATURDAY: Michael McKinson-Evgeny Pavko Welterweight Clash Headlines #MTKFightNight LIVE Exclusively on ESPN+
By , Wed, 17 Jul 2019TONIGHT!!! UNDEFEATED HEAVYWEIGHT SONNY CONTO TO THROW OUT 1ST PITCH AT PHILLIES GAME
By , Wed, 17 Jul 2019Baby Juarez vs Ganigan Lopez headline Telemundo Friday
By , Wed, 17 Jul 2019Bob Arum, Buboy Fernandez believe Manny Pacquiao will be next PH president
By Leo Reyes, Tue, 16 Jul 2019PH bet Rubilen Amit finishes second in 32nd Japan 9-Ball Open
By Marlon Bernardino, Tue, 16 Jul 2019NEW CHAMPS & NEW STARS STEAL THE SHOW
By , Tue, 16 Jul 2019Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame Presents "A Night with Boxing Legends" July 19 at HeadzUp Vegas
By , Tue, 16 Jul 2019LNK Boxing Fight Night 12 feat. WKN MMA this Saturday in Jurmala, Latvia
By , Tue, 16 Jul 2019AirAsia UFC® Training Scholarship now open
By , Tue, 16 Jul 2019Manny Pacquiao Interview Transcript
By , Tue, 16 Jul 2019PACQUIAO-THURMAN: EXPERTS GIVE THEIR PREDICTIONS
By , Tue, 16 Jul 2019August 17: Jose Benavidez Jr.-Luis Collazo and Emanuel Navarrete-Francisco De Vaca Set for Inaugural Fight Card at Banc of California Stadium LIVE on ESPN
By , Tue, 16 Jul 2019GOLDEN BOY MOURNS THE PASSING OF PERNELL 'SWEET PEA' WHITAKER
By , Tue, 16 Jul 2019