Mobile Home | Desktop Version




NIETES WELCOMES FIGHT AGAINST PALICTE

By Dong Secuya
PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 04 May 2018



CEBU CITY ? The main reason why he moved up to Superfly was because three-division world champion Donnie 'Ahas' Nietes was targeting a big fight against any of the big names of the division: Chocolatito Gonzalez, Juan Francisco Estrada or Thai star Srisaket Sor Rungvisai. Nietes, also Philippines' longest reigning world champion, however, ended up facing compatriot Aston Palicte after the WBO ordered the two to face each other for the vacant WBO world super flyweight crown.

?I'll accept fighting Palicte if that's who they give me,? Nietes, who will turn 36 on May 13, told the Cebu media Thursday at Park Social restobar here on the eve of his departure to the United States to accompany stablemate Jonas Sultan who himself will challenge fellow Filipino defending IBF world flyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas on May 26 at the Save Mart Center in Fresno, California.

Nietes also sees the positive side of fighting Palicte. ?Whoever wins between the two of us assures that the championship belt will be in Filipino hands,? Nietes said.

The biggest question in this matchup is how would the 5-feet-3-inches Nietes, who started his career at boxing division's lowest weight class of 105 lbs and has never ever fought at 115 lbs super flyweight division, cope up with the naturally bigger Palicte who stands at 5-feet-7 inches and who fought almost exclusively at super flyweight and even fought as a bantamweight?

?This is boxing. Not basketball. This is not about height but whoever lands the most punches, wins,? Nietes said. Nietes also pointed out that he fought Mexican Moises Fuentes, who is listed as 5 feet six and a half inches tall, twice. Their first fight ended in a draw while in the rematch, Nietes sent Fuentes three times to the canvas en route to a 9th round stoppage win.


Donnie Nietes (C) poses with trainers Edmund (L) and Edito Villamor at Thursday's press conference at the Park Social at IT Park in Cebu City. Photos by Levi Deresas.

Nietes' promoter Michael Aldeguer is still negotiation with the RJJ Promotions, Palicte's promoter, to make the fight. Both parties were given by the WBO ten days to finish negotiation otherwise the fight will go a purse bid with a minimum of US$100,000 purse.

At this time, the date and the venue of the fight is still up in the air although Aldeguer previously said he was targeting July 21 as the date and either the U.S. or Cebu as the venue.

If it was up to him, the Murcia, Negros Occidental native Nietes wants the fight to be held in the Philippines. ?I would like the fight to be held here in the Philippines because we are both Filipinos. The venue should be either in Cebu or Manila but I prefer Manila because it is the capital,? Nietes said.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Dong Secuya.

Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Warriors Buck Pressures, Whip Lakers, 123-116
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • May 4: Rohan Polanco-Fabian Maidana Welterweight Showdown & The Return of Emiliano Fernando Vargas Added to Naoya Inoue-Ramon Cardenas ESPN+-Streamed Undercard at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
    By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • 5 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
    By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025