Mobile Home | Desktop Version




WBO ORDERS NIETES-PALICTE MATCHUP FOR THE VACANT WBO SUPERFLY TITLE

By Dong Secuya
PhilBoxing.com
Tue, 01 May 2018




CEBU ? The World Boxing Organization (WBO) has ordered No. 1 ranked contender Donnie Nietes and No. 2 ranked Aston Palicte, both fighters from the Philippines, to fight for the vacant WBO 115-pound world title, marking another milestone for Philippine boxing where two Filipinos will fight for a world title. On May 26 Filipino IBF superfly world champion Jerwin Ancajas will defend against fellow Filipino Jonas Sultan in the main event of the Top Rank promoted card at the Save Mart Arena in Fresno, California. The last time two Filipinos fought for a world title was 93 years ago when hall-of-famer Pancho Villa (Francisco Guilledo) successfully defended his flyweight belt against Clever Sencio in Manila.

In a letter sent to Nietes' promoter Michael Aldeguer of ALA Promotions and Palicte's promoter Roy Jones Jr of RJJ Promotions dated April 30, 2018, WBO championship committee chairman Luis Batista Salas has ordered the two promoters to negotiate and make the fight happen within 10 days. If the two promoters can't agree in the specified period, the fight will go to a purse bid.

?Please be advised the parties have ten (10) days to negotiate an agreement for the Vacant WBO World Jr. Bantamweight Championship bout between Donnie Nietes vs. Aston Palicte. If an accord is not reached within the time frame stated herein, a Purse Bid will be ordered,? Batista Salas wrote.

Salas added that ?the winner of the contest must face the Mandatory Challenger designated by the Championship Committee within 90 days from the date of the bout.?

The WBO title became vacant when Japanese puncher Naoya Inoue moved up to bantamweight in January this year. Nietes himself vacated his IBF flyweight title just last month to campaign in the popular 115-lb division where the big names of boxing's lower weight division like Thai star Srisaket Sor Rungvisai, Juan Francisco Estrada, Chocolatito Gonzalez, Jerwin Ancajas, and others, ply their trade. Palicte (24-2-0, 20KOs) has been impressive in his last four outings after losing by split decision to Mexican Junior Granados in Mexico in 2016. His last win was against former interim world champion Jose Alfredo Rodriguez of Mexico whom he dismantled in five rounds at the Round Rock Sports Center in Texas.

Aldeguer, who had just received the WBO order early Tuesday morning, Philippine time, said he is looking forward to talk to Palicte's promoter Roy Jones Jr and make the fight happen.

?This is something big for Philippine boxing ? another world title fight between two Filipinos, who would have thought about it that four Filipinos would fight for a world title this year and in the same division?? Aldeguer said. ?I'm looking at a July 21 date for this fight which can be held in Cebu ? at the Cebu Coliseum to accommodate more fans. But it depends on the other party. I am also open to have the fight held in the U.S. because Donnie is now popular over there. But we've been receiving phone calls asking us why Nietes in no longer fighting here so my first preference is for the fight to be held here.?

Meanwhile Nietes will leave for the U.S. on May 4 together with Jonas Sultan and trainers Edito and Edmund Villamor ahead of Sultan's title challenge against compatriot Jerwin Ancajas' IBF superfly belt.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Dong Secuya.

Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Warriors Buck Pressures, Whip Lakers, 123-116
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • May 4: Rohan Polanco-Fabian Maidana Welterweight Showdown & The Return of Emiliano Fernando Vargas Added to Naoya Inoue-Ramon Cardenas ESPN+-Streamed Undercard at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Press Conference Notes: Richard Torrez Jr. and Guido Vianello Ready to Trade Leather in Las Vegas Heavyweight Headliner
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Avoided Kingsley Ibeh Demands his Seat at The Heavyweight Table
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • Undefeated Super Welterweight Prospect Alex Bray Signs Promotional Agreement with Boxlab Promotions
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PRE-SALE TICKETS FOR THE 2025 US OPEN POOL CHAMPIONSHIP AVAILABLE FROM 14 APRIL
    Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • PSME Abu Dhabi overall champion in the PTC-WED in UAE
    By Marlon Bernardino, Fri, 04 Apr 2025
  • The Hard Road of Young Nationalista
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • 5 Pinoy boxers to fight in Japan
    By Lito delos Reyes, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Transatlantic Clash II - "Battle at the Bridge"
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Marco “El Tiburón” Romero moving up to scheduled 6-round bout next
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Filipino chess phenom wins at Spring Blitz Chess Championship in Dubai
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • Team USA Advances Two More Boxers to Medal Rounds at World Boxing Cup: Brazil 2025
    Thu, 03 Apr 2025
  • IM Bagamasbad eyes GM title in Australian Chess Circuit
    By Marlon Bernardino, Thu, 03 Apr 2025